Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    F451 - Renewal through literature

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

F451 - Renewal through literature
 Login/Join

posted
One of the big ideas of F451 was that the supression of ideas through prior censorship was the only way to make men/women happy and reduce conflict (both interpersonal and intrapersonal).

But what the book is raally saying (in part) is that it is the multiplicity of ideas that gives meaning.

I have recently begun reading two books that show literature being used as a way to overcome oppressive cultures. So far, they are excellent. Both are true.

THE HEMINGWAY BOOK CLUB OF KOSOVO. By Paula Huntley. Putnum, NY. 2003.

READING LOLITA IN TEHRAN: A MEMOIR IN BOOKS. By Azar Nafisi. Random House, NY. 2003.

Just thought some of you might be interested.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark,

I think you're on to something here. I've seen both of these books in the bookstore, thumbed through them, put them back. Glad to know someone's picked them up and deemed them worthy of a read. Expect a full report, with a complete tie-in to Bradbury, when you're through.

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post