Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    any good places to get info on Bradbury's childhood?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

any good places to get info on Bradbury's childhood?
 Login/Join

posted
im doing a project on him for school, i need some info on like his childhood and stuff any one know of a good place to get that?

Posts: 2 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Five books (that I know of) have some early boyhood history:

(1) THE RAY BRADBURY COMPANION. William F. Nolan. Bruccoli Clark Book. Pub by: Gale Research. Detroit, MI. 1975.

(2) BRADBURY - AN ILLUSTRATED LIFE: A JOURNEY TO FAR MATAPHOR. by Jerry Weist. William Morrow, NY2002.

(3) READINGS ON RAY BRADBURY - FAHRENHEIT 451. Literary Companion Series. Ed. Katie de Koster. Greenhaven Press, Inc., San Diego. 2000.

(4) RAY BRADBURY: A CRITICAL COMPANION. Robin Anne Reid. Greenwood Press, Westport, CT. 2000.

(5) RAY BRADBURY (Twayne's United States Authors Series.) David Mogen. Twayne Publishers, Boston. 1986.

You can also look at his many introductions and afterwards, where he references his childhood.

There are many interviews on-line (did you check all the sources on this site?) where he deals with some of this in interviews.

At least a start.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 02-09-2004).]

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok. I remember these sort of assignments in school and hated them. I assume you're not too interested at the moment with this subject and that makes things a bit harder, doesn't it?

Bradbury writes, I'd say, around 75% about his childhood. I'd read "The Black Ferris" and "The Playground" which are two very good short stories and will help you. Perhaps you will remember them when you are older and will want to read them again? That happened to me with A Separate Peace, Lord of the Flies, The Great Gatsby, Huck Finn. And keep all your books that you buy for class because if you are like me you could be a "late bloomer" and read everything over what you half-read in school. Plus, a lot of schools having so-called outdated books pitch their supply at the end of the year. Some teachers give their students the opportunity of keeping them. I have one from my junior year with great short stories in them. Hemingway (yes, him) is included in there along with stories by Saki, Algernon Blackwood, Poe, Thurber, Twain, Sandburg... Plus Julius Caesar in its entirety. The Pearl by Steinbeck.

Anyway...

Here's some links that will help with your paper or whatever:
http://home.hiwaay.net/~tfharris/pulpculture/columns/000514a.shtml
http://www.writes.org/conversations/conver_5.html

Posts: 135 | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post