Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ray Bradbury On Stage: The Ilustrated Bradbury

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray Bradbury On Stage: The Ilustrated Bradbury
 Login/Join

posted
WHAT: “The Illustrated Bradbury.” Los Angeles Premiere of a new show.
WHO: Written by Ray Bradbury. Directed by David Smith-English. Produced by Ray Bradbury and by Racquel Lehrman, Theatre Planners. Associate producer: Marie Turcotte. Starring Tobias Andersen. A guest production at Fremont Centre Theatre.
WHERE: Fremont Centre Theatre, 1000 Fremont Ave. (at El Centro), South Pasadena, CA 91030.
WHEN: Previews February 20. Opens Saturday, February 21, 2008 at 8 p.m. Runs through Sunday, March 8. Show times: Fri. & Sat. at 8, Sun. at 3.
ADMISSION: $20. Seniors, $15. Students, $10.
RESRERVATIONS: (323) 960-4429.
ONLINE TICKETING: www.Plays411.com
Back in 1951, Ray Bradbury wrote a book called “The Illustrated Man,” in which the titular character possessed tattoos which came to animated life and depicted stories of the past and future. Actor Tobias Andersen uses the character as an inspiration for his non-tattooed solo performance piece “The Illustrated Bradbury,” in which he depicts nine tales derived from different volumes by the fantasy master and Pulitzer Prize honoree Bradbury.
The storylines unfolded include ones about: a man who seeks to destroy every machine that intrudes upon his life; men of the present day encountering a prehistoric monster from the ocean depths; a woman who stubbornly faces down Death himself; a chicken with a remarkable gift foretelling the future; and much more.
Bradbury is, of course, the author of over 500 published stories, and the inclination to call this selection for the stage Bradbury’s Greatest Hits would be restrained by the flurry of debates among Bradbury’s countless fans championing their particular favorites. But “The Illustrated Bradbury” is a wonderful sampler of beloved narratives from America’s Storyteller.
The Oregon-based actor Tobias Andersen continues an association with Bradbury begun when Andersen originated the role of Fire Chief Beatty in the 1979 Colony Theatre production of “Fahrenheit 451” in Los Angeles. He is the Artistic Director of Mount Hood Repertory Theatre Company, where he has appeared in “Our Town,” “Inherit The Wind,” “The Front Page,” and “On Golden Pond,” and directed “You Can’t Take It With You,” “Born Yesterday,” “Huckleberry Finn,” ‘A Thurber Carnival,” and more. His credits regionally and internationally are extensive. He has also appeared in a number of movies-for-television as well as the recent feature film “Feast Of Love.”
David Smith-English directs. He is the Artistic Director of Clacakamas Repertory Theatre, where he has directed “Fuddy Meers,” “The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (abridged),” Moon Over Buffalo,” and “I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change.” He has directed professionally at a number of theatres in the Portland, Oregon area for several decades.
Set and lighting design: Christopher D. Whitten. Composer/Sound design: Rodolfo Ortega. Stage manager: Autumn Lawrence.
The show had its World Premiere at Clackamas Repertory Theatre in September, 2007. It premiered in Southern California in a one-weekend engagement at the Rubicon in Ventura in October, 2007. The new production at the Fremont Centre Theatre marks its Los Angeles Premiere.

Posts: 3 | Location: Pasadena, CA, USA | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil: Here's to three fun filled weekends.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow night is the L.A. premiere of the play. If you are in the neighborhood stop in and say hello. Oh yes, Mr. B is scheduled to be in attendance...

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Tomorrow night is the L.A. premiere of the play. If you are in the neighborhood stop in and say hello.

Alrighty then.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jky and Doug, unfortunately, I will not be in the neighborhood...but extend my Exclamations to Mr. Bradbury on yet another Illustrious event.

Hey!? Isn't Mr. Bradbury, metaphorically speaking, an ("The") Illustrated Man!! His Tales are still coming true to this very day. How about that!
f

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The opening night of The Illustrated Bradbury was a treat. I can honestly say that I enjoyed The Toynbee Convector, The Parrot Who Knew Papa and Captain Beatty’s soliloquy...

Now it is up to Doug to post photos because I left my Brownie at home.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:

I didn't take any at the play.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:

I didn't take any at the play.

Darn. I'll have to take one of the "chicken wire" tree on Friday night.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
I have tickets for the show this Saturday and I'm really looking forward to it. Can anyone say whether Mr. B will be attending? I'd love to purchase a copy of PARIS at the show and request a signature.

(Ideally I'll be stopping by the Mystery & Imagination event earlier in the day, but a previous obligation may make that impossible.)

Thanks!

Posts: 18 | Location: Hollywood | Registered: 15 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speedlace:
I have tickets for the show this Saturday and I'm really looking forward to it. Can anyone say whether Mr. B will be attending?

He'll be at the Irish play that evening. He's going to the Illustrated the night before.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Ah well. Thanks for the reply, Doug!

Posts: 18 | Location: Hollywood | Registered: 15 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE](Ideally I'll be stopping by the Mystery & Imagination event earlier in the day, but a previous obligation may make that impossible.)
[QUOTE]
As soon as you find out you can attend the book signing I suggest you call the bookshop and reserve a copy. The number of books are limited to the first 100. It is not uncommon for three hundred people to attend a signing by Mr. B.

John King Tarpinian