Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Working on Paper for Bradbury need advice
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Working on Paper for Bradbury need advice
 Login/Join

posted
I have a project due in 5 days about Ray Bradbury, I currently have plenty of information on this great, and inspired man, who touches his words with a passion and aura of love.
My assignment is to write a Biography about Ray in a creative way. I have come up with a few ways to do this:
---Write several Jounral Entries acting as Ray. (This could help me convey, a more personal point of view. In addition it would make the biography interesting to read.)

---Do a hard regular biography. Not too thrilled about this.

Thats all i have, and I guess thats why im posting on these boards. I need help to express the great life of Bradbury, It is so powerfull and deep, that I dont feel i could even scratch the surface of this great man, whos hand has touched books with love rather than raped them.

In addition It would be a great help if I could recive any advice on how to organize the biography, In chronological order, what are his major achievments, obviously his childhood has been a major factor: IE Something Wicked This Way Comes And he was very influencial in the 50's and 60's but anything that can add to this paper would be awesome.
Thank you

Posts: 17 | Location: Bedford, New York, U.S.A | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would be tempting to write as from a future time, such as a child on a colony on Mars or something who has recently discovered Bradbury and finds things to identify with in works written long ago.

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It might be fun to try and choose one of his major characters (Montague or Beatty or Clarisse) and tell his biography from the point of view of one of HIS own fictional characters.

It would be a challenge, I think, but could be pretty cool.

On the other part of your question, I would favor a short, chronological biography of major achievements, awards, and publications. You may be able to get it in some summarized way in your community library's reference shelves. There are a few modern authors series that your librarian could take you to that would include brief summaries of major publications and accomplishments. A few quarters for photocopies might give you a quick overview to work from.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 12-16-2002).]

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, i really like this! that would be a great idea to do it through one of his characters, thanks for the great info Mr. Dark and Dandelion

Posts: 17 | Location: Bedford, New York, U.S.A | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fro an old fuddy-duddy, I have my moments.

By the way, thanks for the thanks. Your acknowledgement is appreciated. It motivates me to try and help more when others post inquiries.

It's amazing how many post questions, people post replies, and then we never hear back. So thanks again.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hehe good to hear that, Bradbury is very close to becomming my favorite author. Hes in competition with Poe and Steinbeck, but i think hes bound to be the new champ.

In addition, i think its great that you Mr.Dark spend time on these boards to answer questions for people, and act as a knowledgable resource. Your ideas are great.
P.s keep up the great work

posted Hide Post
As an update, This project i am working on will in the end compose of 40-50 pages of typed work all on Bradbury. I will be posting my works on these boards for all of you to read and comment and criticize. I feel that your comments will help my writing.

[This message has been edited by Montag456 (edited 12-16-2002).]

posted Hide Post
Itroduction to Biography
--
I used your idea to express the biography through a character in the future:
--

The 2nd day of October 167 R.

Today began like no other day, but in this day I found something so precious so unimaginable, my words cannot capture the emotions of my mind. I am left senseless, I am in a daze, and I constantly require pinching myself and reminding myself that this is not a dream. I found the key to my sheltered and isolated mind. This key holds one thing, one emotion, one desire, and one passion. That one thing is knowledge. Today I have found knowledge!
My entire world begins to flourish, and blooms like a flower. I found this source of erudition, when I began my walk along the red grain path. That steamy path sizzles with the remains of my ancestors, or so my mother once told me. This thin fiery path slithers down like a serpent along the smooth and silky sand. I often wonder, if other people have walked the same path, unfortunately it is hard to tell now, since I am abandoned and have no one to question. I am lonely like a single leaf with no tree to hang on-to; I have been left to decay and decompose on the cold earth. No one to pick me up and re-attach me to my branch. The other leaves are gone now, swept away in the furious wind, they are gone now, along with the tree.
As I continued my walk down this path filled with craters and radioactive remains, I saw a faint glimmer in the distant red haze of the third rock from the sun. Perhaps it was yet another remain from the great cities that inhabited this world. Like ancient Rome, Earth was an empire, but like all empires Earth fell too, and Earth fell with a thundering blow that affected all. This blow touched every corner every crook, nothing survived even the oblivious insects, everyone was scalded, like a pot crashing to the ground and splattering, earth burnt everything and left a terrible scar, a scar that hopefully will heal with time.
That glimmering spark of hope was not what I expected it to be. This flicker was what I desired. As I crept closer, I was an archaeologist uncovering the clues left behind past civilizations. The flicker turned into a shape, this shape was of a stainless steel rectangular box, and similar to the lunch cases my mother gave me. Except, this box had its cover burned to a near crisp. It was the color of amber in the depths of the fire. I edged closer until the point when my toes were nearly touching the burnt Pandora�s box. By this time I was as excited as a child on Christmas morning, this present was mine to open and its contents would belong to me. I raised the artifact to my waist, balancing it delicately on one hand. With extreme caution, I raised the lid. At first site my eyes bulged, my heart skipped a beat, this for sure was the discovery of a lifetime, and this finding was books.

posted Hide Post
As you can see, I am going to make the books a series of Bradburys stories. the books will explain his biography and be told through the 1st person in my essay neat huh

posted Hide Post
Very cool. I'll have to print this out and read it over. You've improved on my idea. When you're famous will I get some kind of bone thrown my way as an early influence?

Poe and Steinbeck are two of my favorites, also. I also love Hemingway, Hesse and (for non-fiction) Thoreau and Emerson. I also have become more and more appreciative of John Irving.

posted Hide Post
Heh, thanks for the inspiring advice Mr.Dark, I doubt i will ever be famous but if i am and i ever publish a book, on the first page i will put In honor of Mr.Dark

First thing in the morning im trotting over to my english teacher and having me read this, and see how he thinks i can expand onto it to create a biography.

Oh in addition pls ignore my grammar, its not exactly perfect

posted Hide Post
Montag456: "Doubt" not what might someday be! I am typically a high-speed scanner. Mags, papers, article, student assignments, and journals fly out of my hands and then I am on to something else awaiting. I get the gist and grab for more.

However, in reading your excerpt, I slowed down to catch all the imagery! (This rate of reading only kicks in when my attention has been gathered. I have no forethought of doing so?!)

Your style and pace are evident and enjoyable. In considering your above prose, you are simply saying, "Today was a most important day because I found books!" Of course, it is in the details things prove interesting.

"No doubt!" all you need to do now is "write on!" Seek out writing seminars, advanced composition courses (in Grammar lies the power of your words), and hound those willing to help in opening up further avenues for such potential.

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 12-17-2002).]

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fjp, thanks man, for the positive feedback
Im working on it as we speek i will have the first 5-12 pages finished by thursday, and i'll post it up.

Again thanks

posted Hide Post
Oh and in addition if anyone was wondering, i am not posting on these boards like other people, trying to slither this project. I am just seeking advice that is all. Wanted to declare that to make clarify my intentions to you all, All of you who have posted with advice have been very beneficial to my paper, Especially Mr. Dark. Curently I am 4 pages in, and im having a great deal of fun with it. Hope to post it soon!

posted Hide Post
Moving Actual, biography to this post:

Re-linked Biography

[This message has been edited by Montag456 (edited 12-17-2002).]