Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Martian Chronicles - Musicians Chapter - Question

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Martian Chronicles - Musicians Chapter - Question
 Login/Join

posted
My 7th grade daughter is reading the Martian Chronicles for Language Arts Class. Regarding the chapter called MUSICIANS she has the following question:

How is the reference to the FIREMEN historically significant?

Both my husband and I have read the question and the best answer we can come up with is that historically - event are always sanitized or cleaned up.

Any input on this question would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Posts: 1 | Registered: 12 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Historically we fear the unknown or the strange, anything different from the "normal". Down through history, the conquerers have burned and pillaged the conquered ones in an attempt to purge and eradicate them. In Martian Chronicals, the Earth people came and attempted to change the very surface and atmosphere of a strange alien planet. They named rivers and mountains with familiar names so it would seem more like home. Instead of trying to understand the culture already present, the sojourners opted to wipe it all out. In history, this has happened time and time again.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rocket,

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post