Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    UNauthorised biography
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UNauthorised biography
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone read this "uncensored" biography of Ray:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/059537364X/ref=sr_11_1...5782-4157708?ie=UTF8

Having read Sam Weller's biography, with its revelations of Ray's affairs, it's hard to believe that there's much left to reveal. I suppose there's still lots left unsaid about the Bradbury-Serling Twilight Zone bitterness, but if Beley's book is unauthorised how much more can he know?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One shudders to think. There are always a lot of rumors going around, and people who will collect them.

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having poked around on the web, I have discovered that Beley has known Ray for many years, and has been documenting Ray's speeches and public addresses. From this I gather that the 'uncensored' in the title relates to Ray's outspoken-ness and the stance on censorship implied by Fahrenheit 451 and other works. The book is published by iUniverse, which seems to be a vanity press owned by Barnes & Noble.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, now I feel better. Thanks.

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those as curious as I am about this book, you can read sample pages on the iUniverse website using their "Browse Before You Buy" feature:

http://www.iuniverse.com/bookstore/book_detail.asp?isbn=0-595-37364-X

I'm breezing through the sample pages now, and while I intend to order the book for the promised excerpts from Bradbury's speeches, I'm already a little troubled by the fact checking, specifically author Beley's reference to Budd Schulberg's classic *novel* "What Makes Sammy Run?" in his introduction as "one of the first biographies I actually enjoyed". Ouch.

Posts: 18 | Location: Hollywood | Registered: 15 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's the problem with vanity presses and self-publishing: there's nobody closely checking the text for accuracy, fluency, consistency, quality.

Actually - thanks to speedlace's tip-off - I just read the sample material on iUniverse. I was surprised how much is being given away for free (the introduction and first chapter, with several photos).

Further to what I posted earlier, it is clear now that Beley's "uncensored" title alludes to his (unfounded) claim that Bradbury tried to censor this book. In fact, Bradbury merely (a) discouraged Beley on the grounds that Sam Welle has already told RB's life story and (b) attempted to protect his copyright in the content of his speeches, which sometimes included recitations of poems.

But some of the material looks like it might be genuinely interesting. The speeches I'm not so sure about, since Bradbury tends to use the same material over and over again in speeches and interviews. But the chapter on the legal battles with CBS over plagiarism of Fahrenheit 451 (covered briefly in Weller, or was it Eller & Touponce?) could be interesting. I am also keen to see the chapter on George Clayton Johnson.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Someone was supposedly writing a book on the Bradbury/Serling conflict a year ago. https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/68910839...251036331#1251036331 I'd be interested to know how that's coming and how much of that this one includes.

posted Hide Post
I've tried to make contact with the author of that Serling book (Bonk Johnston). I'll let you know if I get any response.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Phil!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Philnic says: 'That's the problem with vanity presses and self-publishing: there's nobody closely checking the text for accuracy, fluency, consistency, quality.

Actually - thanks to speedlace's tip-off - I just read the sample material on iUniverse. I was surprised how much is being given away for free (the introduction and first chapter, with several photos).'

It's common nowadays for publishers to post up generous previews and images for their books. The editing problem comes into play when people mix up Publishing on Demand with Print on Demand, which is an entire other thing. A lot of small presses use POD, but you need a pro editing staff, and a willingness to accept only first-class work for publication.

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I've tried to make contact with the author of that Serling book (Bonk Johnston)...

...and I have succeeded. Bonk Johnston tells me that her book, Requiem for a Heavyweight: Wor(l)ds of Rod Serling will be published by Doubleday in the summer of 2007. The Twilight Zone will only be covered in two chapters, and "the Bradbury and Serling debate is highlighted within the text and uses Bradbury's own words and documentation from the 60s."

So, maybe not the final, definitive telling of the conflict between Ray and Rod, but perhaps another view of it.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
A lot more than has seen print so far! I've been after these details for YEARS!

CONGRATULATIONS BONK!!!

posted Hide Post
Bonk? Unusual name, that.
I immediately thought of this guy:
http://www.weijts.scarlet.nl/bj.htm

I got the idea from what Ray has said here and there that this Ray/Rod thing wasn't that big a deal. Interested in seeing the above, though.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bonk is an unusual name, especially so for British people. Bonk is a slightly rude word over here.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
You mean, like in going 'BONKERS'!

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post