Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Dandelion Wine screenplay?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dandelion Wine screenplay?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
There is a play of Dandelion Wine. I was in it. Though it script wouldent make a good movie. It is a Readers Theatre.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
snl930: Hey! That must have been a blast! Great!!

Don't forget to visit the NEW Bradbury board. THIS board is something liken to an asteroid adrift in some manner of speaking...Or maybe it IS something we can't explain. More likely that's it!
Anyway...the New Bradbury board is:
http://www.raybradbury.com/

It at first opens like the old board, but then...it's all different...

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 06-09-2005).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I contacted the agents about adapting a story into a play and was nixed straight away.

Posts: 24 | Location: Enid, OK, USA | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why would you be nixed?
'Dandelion Wine' is done as a play in many colleges, etc. all the time. Are you changing it substantially? Etc?
__

Don't forget the 'new' Ray Bradbury website @: http://www.raybradbury.com

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tammy:

Check out this upcoming extravaganza of Bradbury plays, NEXT summer, 2006!
http://www.raybradburyfestival.com/schedule.htm

posted Hide Post
I don't know why - I sent them a letter requesting permission to adapt it for the stage and they said Mr. Bradbury was not interested in having his works adapted at that time. That was it - it was like two sentences. I didn't want to change it at all - I just wanted to make it into a play because it's one of my favorite stories.

Posts: 24 | Location: Enid, OK, USA | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So this festival is all theater productions of his work? I can't imagine why they told me no. Unless it was that he didn't want that particular story done or something.

posted Hide Post
tammy:::
exactly...WHO did you write your request to? Did the person who answered your request sing his or her name...or was it a form letter? Again, what was the name of the place you sent your request...?

Their response is odd. By the way, what were the particulars of your request? That is to say, where, how, etc. was the play to be done...and was money involved!

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 07-21-2005).]

posted Hide Post
I got the address for the agents/representatives from this board actually and I sent them a letter explaining that I would like permission to adapt the Laurel & Hardy Love Affair to a stage play. That is really about it as far as I can remember. I probably said something to the effect of being a long time Ray Bradbury fan or something - I don't remember but it was short and sweet and their reply simply said Thank you for your interest in Mr. Bradbury's work. However, Mr. Bradbury is not interested in having the work adapted at this time. I'm sure someone signed it but I don't recall who and I think I finally threw the letter away.

posted Hide Post
tammy:

Ah. this is a litle different. Adaptation. Mr. Bradbury adapts his stories to play. You can take a story that has been adapted to a play by Bradbury. But he doesn't want his work reinvented (adapted) by someone else...

posted Hide Post
I didn't want to rewrite the story - I wanted to make it into a play. Do you mean that you can put on a play if he has already written it as a play but you can't write one into a play?

posted Hide Post
tammy:

If you add your pen to the story, to create a play out of it, it's no longer Bradbury's work...it's your own.

Bradbury would have to have so much confidence in you and approve what you have done before he would authorize your use. There are many of Bradbury stories out there that he has written as plays. But they are his own creations. And THOSE you can use. I've been to many of Ray's plays and directors add flourishes and this and that...but the main stock of the plant remains the same.

Also, Ray has his own theater company to produce his own plays: 'Pandemonium Theater'.

posted Hide Post
well, the point wasn't to use one, it was to create one out of one that isn't a play as of yet that i know of. i didn't want to rewrite the words or even any part of the story - i simply wanted to see one of my favorite stories brought to life. but i see what you are saying. although if i were a writer and someone wanted to make a play or movie from my work, i would be flattered instead of quashing their idea.

posted Hide Post
I finally read this book starting the beginning of this summer. What a glorious book!

I'm usually disappointed when stories are turned into film. If somebody films it I hope they are true to the story.

I saw the preview to "A Sound of Thunder" today and was very disappointed!

=========================================
See my site for evidence that God exists. http://www.x-evolutionist.com/

See my site for evidence that God exists<br />http://www.x-evolutionist.com/

Posts: 2 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK 73159 | Registered: 03 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post