Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Missing text, One More For The Road

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Missing text, One More For The Road
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,

A couple of years ago I purchased the book One More For The Road published by Earthlight, Simon & Schuster. It was all going well until I reached page 10, where the page print had shifted up and was missing what I believe to be at least a couple of sentences from the page. I took the book back and ordered a new one. The new one was the same so I got my money back. So four months ago I decided to see if that batch of books had run out and ordered a new copy. However page 10 has not changed. The bookshop tried contacting the editorial and publishers to try and determine if there were sentences missing and if so what they were. However the response they received was that the books there had the same problem. So can someone tell me if there is text missing and if so could they please tell me what it is?

The previous sentence to possible missing text in page 9 last sentence of the last paragraph:

He stepped back and stood sideways.

Page 10, the first sentence I have is the following:

Across a great distance, one by one in the blowing noon wind, first one stranger and then the next followed by the next half-turned, stepped a half step away and waited.

Thanks

Bris

Posts: 5 | Registered: 06 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the paperback of that right here. I found the passage and mine is okay. I'll put a few sentences down, let me know if it is enough. This is right after the "Across" part you wrote.

He felt his body hesitate and want to move forward and not off toward his car. Again, he made no decision. His shoes, disembodied, took him quietly away.
As did the bodies, the feet, and the shoes of the strangers.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What rocket and Bris have written concurs with mine, a hardcover, first edition printing (signed by Forry Ackerman, to whom it was dedicated).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
braggart.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braggart is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Rocket

Thank you very much. Is there any more text between

eyes soft and moist...

and

Across a great distance....

As you ended with ... I wondered if there was more text before the Across sentence.

Thanks,

Bris

posted Hide Post
No, I'm sorry. I should have put quotation marks above what I was quoting for your story. The last part is my personally chosen quote out of Martian Chronicles. The paragraph ends with "and the shoes of the strangers." Do you need more from that page? Tell me what the first sentence that you can read again is on that page.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Teh Bradbury>
posted
roflolmaomfg-z

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first sentence I can read is:

Across a great distance, one by one in the blowing noon wind, first one stranger and then the next followed by the next half-turned, stepped a half step away and waited.

Bris

posted Hide Post
Okay, in order for me not to senselessly type more than you need, I need to know where it picks back up. In other words, what is the first full sentence that you can read again after the missprinting?

posted Hide Post

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok here we go again.

Sentence before misprint:

"He stepped back and stood sideways."

Sentence after misprint:

"Across a great distance, one by one in the blowing noon wind, first one stranger and then the next followed by the next half-turned, stepped a half step away and waited."

--------------------
My question:
Is there something in between those two sentences?

thanks

Bris

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bris:
My question:
Is there something in between those two sentences?

Nothing.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
If you would have looked where I indicated, you would see there isn't.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your reply.

Also thank you for the amazon link, but I could not access the data as my account is in the UK, it only seems to work for The States accounts. But thank you anyway.

It has only taken two years to establish that there is no text missing, good grief!

Bris