Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Fahrenheit 451
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fahrenheit 451
 Login/Join

posted
Is this book still read in schools all over USA?

Posts: 30 | Location: Portugal | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

Posts: 30 | Location: Portugal | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The National Endowment for the Arts' "Big Read" programme includes F451, so many communities (and schools) across the US are reading the novel. Details are here:

http://www.neabigread.org/books.php

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You bet it is!!! Alive and very well. F451 proves more relevant as time passes and technology encroaches...

In my HS literature lessons presently: Montag just torched Beatty, got the Mechanical Hound's bite, ran off to Faber's apartment, drank the whiskey, changed clothes, swam the river (poignant poetic beauty in this passage), and then met Granger in the woods after following the tracks.

Our school's chief administrator walked in while I was discussing and reading from this part of "Burning Bright." She left a very complimentary note, to which I e-mailed a thanks later, adding, "It was Mr. Bradbury who had done all the work. I was just enjoying the story with my class of gr. 10 teenagers!"

I have taught the book to students 10-12 and in a D.L. sci-fi class to numerous schools connected to a regional studio telecast.

Since we do semesters in our school, I have taught F451 to five groups just this year. I learn something new every time I present the masterpiece. The other day I picked up an old edition of The Autobiography of Ben Franklin. (As an assignment half way through reading the book, I request that each student bring in an especially interesting family text. One youth brought in this Franklin title -an 1849 second edition- from a box his grandmother had in her collection of antiques in a garage attic -- I'd like to see the rest of her stored titles!!)

I picked the text up from the display table holding their many great selections. When I opened its golden lettered, classic textured cover, flipped through the pages of its fine-papered contents, I read (to my surprise) that Mr. Franklin (the original fireman) had befriended a fellow passenger with an ironic sir name as he was traveling to Europe on one his famous ambassadorial adventures.

The two shared many topics of discussion during their transoceanic passage. They remained acquaintances for many years and continued to exchanged philosophies during their lives.

His name, "Mr. Denham!" Ring any bells?

Maybe jkt could ask Mr. Bradbury if there is a tie to this name and Montag as he journeyed also -- into the subway, reciting "lilies of the field." The founding fireman Franklin and the fireman Montag trying to become a part of the founding of a new generation of hope...after all of the burning.
RE: http://www.shmoop.com/autobiog...nklin/mr-denham.html
(*Also: Faber was Montag's tutor as was Peter Faber a teacher for St. Ignatius Loyola! In the background for each man who stepped forward to make a difference.) Interesting twists nonetheless.

Mr. B signed my personal desk copy (last summer at the 89th events) with all of its notes and "READ!" messages to myself. He loved seeing it. What an honor for me!

Posts: 2806 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjp, have you ever figured out any connections/references for the fire chief's name, Beatty? I noticed that in Bradbury's original novella "The Fireman", the chief is called Leahy.

In his audiobook reading of F451 (and in some interviews) Bradbury seems to favour a pronunciation like BE-atty (rather than BEE-tee). I don't know if this has any significance, and I'm not aware of Bradbury commenting on it anywhere.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I go by this one:
http://inogolo.com/pronunciation/Beatty

...with the intention that Montag is from the outset being "baited" by the sly, seemingly omnipotent, always enticing fire chief.

Also, a crackling irony: http://www.encyclopedia.com/do...13E13C89D780D58.html

(Phil, I long ago received a "Fireman" copy from a library that had the story in an old anthology of literature.)

*Just found this old related post:
RE: Posted 01 March 2005 01:26 PM
A few weeks back I had a similar request concerning locating a copy of the story which has never been collected in any of Mr. Bradbury's works (as it first ran). However, I did do a search via a regional library electronic system and have (in front of me as I type) a copy of "Science Fiction Origins" by William Nolan and Martin Greenberg (Fawcett Popular Library, NY, 1980). ISBN0-445-04626-0
(The story runs about 55 pages from paperback size pages.)

Anthology includes:
Fireman-Ray Bradbury
The Day of the Perky Pat-Philip Dick
The Fasterfaster Affair-Wm. Nolan
Hopper-Robt. Silverberg
He Who Sails-Roger Zelazny
Malice in Wonderland-Evan Hunter
Guardian Angel-A.C. Clarke

Occasionally e-bay has a copy up for bids from the Galaxy pulp s.f. magazine of the early 50's. They can be expensive.

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 03-01-2005).]

Posts: 2806 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm, Beatty = baity. Because of Bradbury's pronunciation of the name, I am more inclined to think Be-atty = beatify! Probably a view Beatty would hold of himself.

I have "The Fireman" in MATCH TO FLAME, which also includes the earlier draft version of the story entitled "Long After Midnight" (not to be confused with Bradbury's OTHER short story of that title).

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Hmm, Beatty = baity. Because of Bradbury's pronunciation of the name, I am more inclined to think Be-atty = beatify! Probably a view Beatty would hold of himself.

I have "The Fireman" in MATCH TO FLAME, which also includes the earlier draft version of the story entitled "Long After Midnight" (not to be confused with Bradbury's OTHER short story of that title).

Have fun pronouncing the restaurant Ray had left which caused the encounter that became The Fireman, Perino's.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PERRY-nose.

puhREENose.

perryNOSE.

That's all I can muster!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Sorry to interrupt, just to tell you that you are very lucky to teach Bradbury's stories, to live in his country, at least some of you, and have access to his books and stories in the libraries, here if I want his books I have to buy them from amazon!!

Phil I've been to your site, I tried to leave a message there but it didn't allow me to!!

Blue Bottle

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
PERRY-nose.

puhREENose.

perryNOSE.

That's all I can muster!

per-E-nose

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even more trivia courtesy of Wikipedia:
In the season three episode of The Simpsons entitled "Dog of Death", Homer Simpson throws a series of books on a fireplace during the course of the episode. One of these is Fahrenheit 451, in which the throwing of the book on the fire is a reference to the plotline of the book itself.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
I must track down that episode! I hear that the book is also shown burning in Truffaut's film version of F451, but despite ten or more viewings I've never spotted it.

blue bottle, sorry you had trouble messaging me. You should be able to post a "comment". You can always email me at:

bradbury at bradburymedia dot co dot uk

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Thank you Phil, I will send you an e-mail!