Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Internet Speculative Fiction Database

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Internet Speculative Fiction Database
 Login/Join

posted
Webmaster Al von Ruff reports that as of January 17, 2003, the site became too large and is no longer searchable! Anyone know other online sources of how to check all anthologies in which a certain story appeared, including older anthologies? Or is it back to picking through each edition of "Short Story Index" at the library?

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, goody. Locus Online: Science Fiction News, Reviews, Resources, and Perspectives, at http://www.locusmag.com/ does include older anthologies. Somehow I thought all information there was only from 1984 on.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh oh! Dandelion's talking to herself again....

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I have to do SOMETHING for intelligent conversation!

posted Hide Post
Well making a sock puppet to keep a conversation going is not to bad, as long as you don't use both socks, and have a three way chat.

But then again it is cheaper, and less radical than cloning yourself.

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No offence intended Dandelion. I hope none was taken, I read once that people that talk to themselves are actually very intelligent.
I've also walked down the Avenue of the Americas in Manhatten listening, or watching the mutterering souls passing right, and left. I ramble on here: just wanted to apologise while I grumble here at the keyboard. "and so it goes" uncle

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion: I tried talking to myself...it didn't help. Maybe it had to do something with the poor eye contact....

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I talk to myself frequently. When I'm driving and talk to myself it is often cause to repent. When not, I apparently mutter to myself (I'm hoping profound thoughts). I don't notice I'm doing it most of the time. My daughter points out that it makes me look like a "Rain Man" type character.

I have read that people who DON'T talk to themselves are the unusual ones.

I have also read that people who talk to themselves are very intelligent. Because I talk to myself, I choose not to challenge the research on that. But if I hear that idiots talk to themselves, I will demand empirical verification up the wa-zoo!

I'm hoping the implication given (that you can only get intelligent conversation when you talk to yourself) is not directed toward my esteemed colleagues on this message board . . . :-)

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
EUREKA, Who has not had a flash of insight, or a solution hit with a rush of spontaneous
noise. I challenge anyone to not burst out with some sort of expression of startled joy.
Stimulating conversation can be a two part arguement pro, and con conserning ones opinion on a days choice of socks. Obsessive Compulsive folks have Holidays devoted to going to market. I had read that one of Ray's favorite films was " As Good As It Gets" with Jack Nickolson, and Helen Hunt.
Jack's character has OCD, and is eccentric as they come. Helen is the Love interest. I will leave it at that, But it was a fantastic treatment of the life of a man coping in his own "world-environment".
The interactions are choice I recommend it. Then go somewhere to mutter in the rain with someone you love.