Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    OPINION ON FAHRENHEIT 451

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OPINION ON FAHRENHEIT 451
 Login/Join

posted
Did you guys like or dislike this book? Why or why not? I need to write an evaluation.. Please Help!

Posts: 2 | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would be shocked to find out that anyone who is a regular participant on these pages didn't like F451.

The question is pretty broad, but here's a short, rushed stab at some general reactions:

(1) I loved the characters. Each one (Montag, Mildred, Clarisse, Faber, Beatty, etc.) had a real role to play without becoming simply cardboard cut-outs.

(2) I loved the theme of censorship and that the concept of censorship was complex. In other words, while government censors, we censor ourselves as a society, we censor things through our own laziness, etc. It's not JUST anti-totalitarianism.

(3) I loved what I got out of the book when I read it -- which was the idea that ideas mattered. Ideas meant something, and that access to ideas was critical to human fulfillment.

(4) I loved the plot. For me, the story just ripped along. I don't recall any boring spots.

(5) I love that this book is the book that turned me into a reader. Thoreau mentioned (In Walden) that many a man can date the beginning of a new life to the reading of a book. F451 is that book for me. Prior to F451, I read comics and Mad Magazine. After F451 I read almost anything that made me think.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the best thing I like about it was the time....like future and how bradbury described it ..........do you have anything I could add to my summary for an 3min oral report???

JeNnIfEr

Posts: 3 | Registered: 30 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah!
Why not talk about what kind of world would it be where everybody is a book...or a part of a book, chapters, maybe just paragraphs of different books...and I guess you could say we really entered into a paperless society then....
Ah, tornado-warnings in Chicago, rainy, stormy...what the heck...felt like saying anything, even if it was kinda stupid....

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post