Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Somewhere a Band is Playing/Big Fish

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Somewhere a Band is Playing/Big Fish
 Login/Join

posted
I was just ready Now and Forever for the 5th or 6th time (probably more) and each time I cannot get over the parallels between Summerton and the town of Spectre in the Novel/Film Big Fish. They both follow almost the exact same premise of two protagonists which have stumbled upon or are having a premature view/visit to the afterlife. Although there are obvious differences (people do not age or age at a snail pace in Summerton, for example) the similarities are numerous.

The fact that there are characters which have already passed in the story (Hepburn/Nef) makes it clear that this is a representation of the afterlife which Cardiff has stumbled upon prematurely and, like Bloom in Big Fish, eventually leaves/escapes so that they may find it later at their correct time and place.

My question is, although this novella was not published in this form prior to Now and Forever (so I believe), had it been previously published in another form such as a short story? The similarities between the two stories are too close to be mere coincidence so I'm curious if it is possible that Bradbury inspired Wallace's novel or vice versa.

Posts: 13 | Registered: 20 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not published, no, but SOMEWHERE A BAND IS PLAYING was developed as a screen treatment decades before Bradbury finalised it as a novella and put it into print. I haven't read BIG FISH, so can't comment on the similarities, but I don't imagine there was any direct influence.

It would be interesting to find out if Wallace knows Bradbury's work, though.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post