Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ray & Stephen King

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray & Stephen King
 Login/Join

posted
I recently read that Stephen King was influenced by Ray's stories. I have noted similarities in King's stories sometimes that strike me as very Bradburyian. I also read that King's favorite horror book is Something Wicked This Way Comes. Have they met? What does Ray think about King and his work?

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rocket:

If you have a copy of Sam Weller's biography of Bradbury somewheres, take notice of the quote by Stephen King in the book:

"Well, of course, without Ray Bradbury, there is no Stephen King, at least as he grew."

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do and I will, Nard, thanks. Hoping for more clarification.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray Bradbury was the Stephen King of his age. He was THE horror writer of that time.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There has to be some significance in the fact that Stephen King was born the same year Ray Bradbury's first book was published.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have they ever met face to face?

posted Hide Post
rocket:

I talked with Ray on the phone this afternoon and asked him the question that you posted about Ray ever meeting Stephen King. Ray said that he only talked with Stephen one time, maybe 40 years ago, when Stephen just began to write. And has never been touch since.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's surprising considering that he ranks Something Wicked This Way as his number one favorite horror book and cites Ray as a heavy influence on him. You should speak to Ray about a collaboration...

posted Hide Post
Perhaps not a collaboration but what if both authors were asked to write a short story using the same theme. We all know that Stephen King’s “Pet Cemetery” is based on “The Monkey’s Paw”, that’s his take on it. What might Ray’s have been? King’s take turned into a novel but I’d like to see the editor of a proposed anthology challenge all of the authors represented to write a short story based on the same theme and Ray and Stephen would be top magnets to draw readers. I hope someone does this because either of them could trip over a garden rake at any time and then the opportunity will be gone.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, I find Stephen King to be more of a storyteller than a writer. Bradbury, as I have come to know, is not only great at telling a story, but the content is great. His use of metaphors are amazing. I find King's writing boring, which make for better movies than to actually read. There need not be a collaboration because I think King would only bring down Bradbury as Bradbury writes amazing as it is. I see King as a cheap man's Bradbury.

Posts: 63 | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I agree with that. I totally agree with some of his stuff being subpar but he is a great writer. I used to be so impressed with how he can take a normal contemporary situation or object(a car for instance)and make it totally terrifying. My favs of his are Salems lot, Dead Zone, Shining, It, The Stand, Christine. They are just different writers, granted, he doesn't hold a candle to Ray, but I think he's one of our best.