Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Writing a paper

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Writing a paper
 Login/Join

posted
Presently in the midst of writing a paper for a Short Story conference in the UK. Pitched the following abstract:

Ray Bradbury: The Martian Storyteller
Ray Bradbury is widely known for the cult novel, The Martian Chronicles (1950), published originally in the UK under the title of The Silver Locusts (1951). This collection of short stories on the colonisation of Mars explores more than Sci-fi themes of the day and still speaks to readers today. Exploring the themes in Bradbury’s work: technology, distrust, racism, dystopia and subtopia, the paper will try to readdress the balance between Bradbury the pulp novelist and Bradbury the master story teller. Discussing why Bradbury’s genre work has been overlooked by Creative Writing Academics and writers in the UK.

Hopefully this work will be included in a book published by a University Press later in the year. Any supporting material or ideas, discussions around the themes would help - I want to do Ray Bradbury the justice he deserves he has been overlooked in UK Academia for too long.

Andrewo

Posts: 7 | Location: UK | Registered: 18 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Andrewo,

and greetings from another UK academic. I happen to be researching for a paper or two on Bradbury myself at the moment. (My topic is Bradbury in adaptation to visual and audio media.)

Which conference will you be presenting at?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could have at least responded to my e-mail phil. I don't think you should make promises that you do not intend to keep.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[...phil, who has been away for Easter, goes off to check his email to see what has upset Robot Lincoln...]

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Phil,
It will be the Edge Hill Short Story Conference at Edge Hill College of HE. 13th May 2006.

Andrewo

Posts: 7 | Location: UK | Registered: 18 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Which Uni are you at Phil. Maybe we should talk more. So few cover him in the UK.

Andrewo

posted Hide Post
Hi Phil, Don't take me or this board as seriously as I do sometimes. The mix up is all me, I just thought e-mail superceded posting on a board. As far as talking about it on the board, it won't happen again, although what an immediate response. As far as the audio books go, please don't sweat it, I've found a more reliable source. Sorry, and thanks again.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Andrewo,

I thought it might be Edge Hill. Maybe I should come along - it's relatively cheap as academic conferences go. But how odd to hold it on a Saturday!

I'm at Wolverhampton. I teach video and film production, and am currently researching adaptation. Feel free to email me if you'd like to discuss more: bradburymedia@yahoo.co.uk

- Phil