Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Mike Resnick's Comment

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mike Resnick's Comment
 Login/Join

posted
I've just finished Nebula Awards Showcase 2010, edited by Bill Fawcett.

The book has a short article by Mike Resnick, celebrated SF author, about science fiction in the 1990s. After discussing various movies, Resnick inserts the following parenthesis:

"I have been discussing theatrical releases here. Actually, the best fantastic film of the decade was The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit, scripted by Ray Bradbury from his own story. It had charm, grace, poignancy, and beauty in abundance - so of course it was released directly to video."

Interesting - I'd known about the movie, but that's high praise indeed. It doesn't seem to be available through my regular suppliers, though.

I think mr. Resnick may be mistaken in calling it a fantastic film - I haven't seen it, but judging by the story (and from memory) there's no fantastic element in it. Or am I wrong? Is the movie different? And is it as good as Mike Resnick says?

Posts: 700 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suppose it depends on your definition of the fantastic. I think the Suit performs a magical function in the story and the film, although I don't remember anything about it being strictly impossible (which is sometimes given as a requirement of the fantastic).

I have a VHS copy of the film, and I consider it to be one of the better Bradbury adaptations, but I don't consider it to be a great movie. I think it deserved better than "straight to video", and it deserves to be more widely available on DVD. (I seem to recall that the DVD was made available only to subscribers of some Disney package or other, and was never distributed to retail outlets. That's why there are relatively few copies in circulation, and most readily available through eBay and the like.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The DVD is available but you must jump thru a series of fiery hoops to get one. You must be a member of the Disney Video Club or know somebody who is. At last look, the DVD is still not in the catalogue so you have to call them (probably more than once) and hope that you get a person on the other end of the telephone who is willing to do some work and look up the SKU.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love this film and think it is one of the best adaptations of Ray's work. I see the Suit as magical in how it touches each man's heart and dreams. Like so many of Ray's metaphors it's all about love. I was lucky enough to see in on the big screen because they premiered it here in Albuquerque. It is to short to stand on it's own in a theatrical release but I wish they had packaged with another film in the theaters.

Posts: 86 | Location: Bernalillo, NM USA | Registered: 16 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At one of the last Comic-cons Ray said that it was the best movie adaptation of one of his works.

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fanboy:
At one of the last Comic-cons Ray said that it was the best movie adaptation of one of his works.

It is. Second would be SWTWC.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Electric Grandmother with Maureen Stapleton is another one of my favorite adaptations. It brings tears to my eyes every time I watch it.

Posts: 86 | Location: Bernalillo, NM USA | Registered: 16 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PatR:
The Electric Grandmother with Maureen Stapleton is another one of my favorite adaptations.

I loved it. Another favorite is Any Friend of Nicholas Nickleby... with the wonderful Fred Gwynne.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may well say, "Wow!", Pip.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post