Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The WWW

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The WWW
 Login/Join

posted
This has nothing to do with RB, but since we have a lot of technical-types on the board, I put to you a question: Which web domain buying/hosting/designing company would you recommend as affordable, dependable, etcetera?

I am on the verge of registering a domain name for our production company and can't decide - and I need to decide quick.

I know so little about these things.

Suggestions?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding:

Try looking into this place.:
Inexpensive and reliable!

http://order.1and1.com:80/xml/order/Home;jsessionid=918..._reuse=1178167412506

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That looks like a fine choice overall - but do they do website design as well?

Do you handle your own website design or hire it out?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug(John)Spaulding: Ah! I missed that design part of your question. Likely, they will refer you to someone,. What you need is someone who has a reasonable pricing. I know a couple of people! I'd say, however, think about spending around $1,000, give or take a few dollars... unless it's a friend. Some of those websites you just love can go 10 20 30 thou$and$. Or you can learn it all yourself. The program to start learning web design is...Dreamweaver.
http://www.adobe.com/creativelicense/?id=web,dw&sdid=TITB

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, thanks.

I've heard of Dreamweaver, but I also heard that it is not the way to go if you're going to be designing a professional site. I don't know.

This site seems to offer reviews by a professional. I think I might peruse it today.

I better start learning how to write code!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
This guy's supposed to be good:

http://www.linguacom.net/linguacom/index.cfm/2006/1/1/Welcome-to-Linguacomnet

He's also a talk show host in the Santa Cruz area.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My two cents: It's all very well paying someone to design a site for you, but who will update it? If oyu envisage updating it yourself, make sure your web designer knows this is one of your design parameters.

My top tip would be to approach a local college or university and find a talented student to work with you on it. They will be glad of a real project to work on for their cooursework, and you will be glad of their help in getting you on the web.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't you mean "your two pence"?

Good advice. I was thinking of learning anyway for that very reason. A designer just builds it, they don't update, do they? At least not unless you pay an additional fee.

I suppose.

I'm off to accost students at University!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
philnic: Good suggestion! (By the way...did you get your Small Assassin DVD yet?)

Doug Spaulding: My first website was done by a student taking classes in computer programming. He had enough on the ball to put something acceptable online. AND...he even updated when necessary.