Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Meanwhile... down in the cellar
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meanwhile... down in the cellar
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Your right, I do need to be sensitized in alot of ways. This is a perfect example of it, I need to try it before forming a preconceived notion of it. I'm not homo-phobe but after reading my post, I should have been more sensitive. Sorry if I offended anyone. I guess, my main point was that I am so surprised that I found the story so deep and moving and I liked it every bit as much as say Dirty Harry or Terminator.

Onward to Mars!

Posts: 318 | Location: Louisville, KY United States | Registered: 27 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BWAHAHA[rubs hands] I just realised that this amazing string has reached page five, congratulations Grass, well done. Isn't it weird that sometimes the most benign seeming posts turn into some of the most profound and deep ones. I've tried to start a few that had me sweating dust because of overthought and usually they took a smoking nnosedive. Then others, I have just posted off the top of my hat, and they have been rewarding somewaht. Have a grand evening all ye space lubbers.

Onward to Mars!

Posts: 318 | Location: Louisville, KY United States | Registered: 27 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chap, heck, I still like Shirley Temple movies!

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah. What a great star�and person!

Posts: 206 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know that no one on these boards has shown any meanness or real insensitivity. My reason for posting this is because I�m concerned that now the subject has come up, some people may feel threatened or wonder about motivations. And it bothers me if any one out there feels uncomfortable or unwelcome.

I�m not a dog, but I love dogs. I�m not a Native American but I love Native Americans. And I�m not gay but I love gay people. I clarify things in this way so that when I make the following argument, you know that I am considering things realistically and not because of an agenda.

If you created some sort of science fiction scenario where you changed history and removed the influences that gay people have had over the centuries you would lose a massive�and I mean massive�chunk of all that is good in the world; because they have contributed so much--the arts, government, medicine, inventions and on and on.

I think it still all boils down to Ray�s butterfly. Like I said a long time ago. �Any friend of Ray Bradbury�s is a friend of mine.� And I mean any friend!

[This message has been edited by Chapter 31 (edited 05-01-2006).]

Posts: 206 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems I'm loosing a few of my posts. Others have that problem?

---

Chapter 31:
Since the gay topic is basically a religious, moral discdussion (take it or leave it)... I make mention of this, however, because I find it darkly humorous when people start getting furious over the subject. Homosexuality in scripture, tho it is condemned, is ALSO condemned, IN THE SAME PARAGRAPH along with...
...being an habitual drunk,
...of someone who steals,
...someone who has sex outside of marriage,
...someone who has sexual relations with another's wife,
...etc etc etc.
When Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed by the visiting angels that for all intents and purposes looked like actual men, it was technically NOT for the homosexual activities in the city... but because one did not show kindness and hospitality to his neighbor.

Read it yourself.

==========

PER
LOS ANGELES FESTIVAL OF BOOKS:

Tried posting on the 'other' Bradbury website about 10 photos pertaining to the Los Angeles Festival of Books this weekend, where Ray was present to 'confront' the seemingly endless lines of people wanting an autograph.
Unfortunately my digital 'jpegs' were larger than 2mg each that the site limits. So couldn't post 'em. I have to retrieve my photoshop progam from my old computer and use that to reduce the size of the digital photos (jpegs). Once done, I'll have them online.

The crowds didn't seem to want to stop, and Ray went about 2 1/2 hrs of continual signing before calling it a day!

======

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 05-01-2006).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a trooper that Ray Bradbury is!

Yes, Nard, I have read it and agree, loving your neighbor is the most important thing, and, �Mercy triumphs over justice.��James

[This message has been edited by Chapter 31 (edited 05-01-2006).]

posted Hide Post
No posts have been removed by me which weren't either duplicates, phone ads, or totally off-topic, and when "N-word" does such things he/she/it usually hangs around to brag about it.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandy, I think Nard's problem must be something else.
Did the braggart with the maritime cognomen actually wreak any mischief? After all, "Nemo", you may be aware, is Latin for "no one".
Thanks for jettisoning the "phoneys", by the way!
Also, the Berlioz concert is Saturday, I'm exactly halfway through "Bleak House", then I read your book!

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...not that that's a bad thing.

Onward to Mars!

posted Hide Post
AHA!!! So it was "No one". Wait until I tell my Mom that "No one" is up to his old tricks again. She always used to say to us kids, "Well, if YOU didn't do it, and your brother didn't do it, then that means 'NO ONE' must have done it. Of course, 'No one' always does it!"

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been watching old Groucho Marx programs of TV's "You bet Your Life". Why do several of the previous posts sound like something Groucho Marx would say?

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On second thought, maybe I shouldn't tell my Mom that "No one" did it. I always did get blamed for his actions.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now we "no" one who could have done it.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although not empty, I always thought there was no one in �Bleak House�.