Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ray on 1980's Twilight Zone
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray on 1980's Twilight Zone
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Doug,

To those of us who identify TV shows with what the show is about, the majority of viewers, MASH is nothing at all like "ANDY". You're not thinking like Joe TV Viewer, but more like an insider, a student, or a TV geek.

THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW - Single father, Sheriff, son.

THE RIFLEMAN - Single father, Sheriff Deputy, son.

FLIPPER - Single father, Fish & Game Warden, two sons.

GENTLE BEN - Single father, National Park Ranger, son.

and if I remember correctly DENNIS THE MENACE used to follow THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, GENTLE BEN, and FLIPPER on KTLA back in the day, so I just threw that one in there out of nostalgia. Didn't THE MUNSTERS and THE ADDAMS FAMILY follow "Dennis", circa 1975?

Think back to those golden years.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...and don't forget "My Three Sons"!

"Think back to those golden years."

I do.

"Yo, Rinty!"

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grasstains:
You're not thinking like Joe TV Viewer, but more like an insider, a student, or a TV geek.

You got me there - that's exactly how I'm thinking.

The characterization was the same, the development, the writing style, even the camera technique was identical - few TV sitcoms used the "one-camera" technique.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
My parents bought our first color TV in order to watch Bonanza in 'Living Color!'

You city folks! We didn't get our first colour TV until somewheres around 1980 or so!

As a child, I had to suffer with a black and white TV in my bedroom.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug,

Thee two kids in the Andy Griffith Show and Gentle Ben were real-life brothers.

p.s. "Opie" is now a grandfather.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR

PLEASE DON'T EAT THE DAISIES

A FAMILY AFFAIR

NANNY AND THE PROFESSOR

I DREAM OF JEANIE

BEWITCHED

THAT GIRL

THE FLYING NUN

BRADY BUNCH

PARTRIDGE FAMILY

THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW

DANNY THOMAS

MY FAVORITE MARTIAN

THE FBI

DRAGNET

THE HIGHWAY PATROL

THE FUGITIVE

THE BOUNTY HUNTER

HAWAII 5-0

LOST IN SPACE

VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA

WILD, WILD WEST

THE VIRGINIAN

THE BIG VALLEY

ALIAS SMITH AND JONES

DANIEL BOONE

DAVY CROCKET

THE LONE RANGER

===============================================

As I recall, growing up in L.A. in the early 1970s, channels 11 and 13 had more of the family and girly type of stuff while 5 and 9 had the boyish stuff, crime dramas, Sci-Fi and westerns.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know; and Clint also appeared on the Griffith Show occasionally as peanut-butter sandwich eating Leon, a little fellow about town who always wore a cowboy suit.

He would always offer a bite of the sandwich to passers-by, who would always respond, "no thanks, Leon."

Funny running gag.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Chicago, there was nothing better than UNCLE JOHNNY COONS at noon. Have lunch with Johnny when you run home from school, and as Johnny drinks a glass of milk with you, tells a joke and laughs, he just might have milk bubble out of his nose in his sudden chuckling (Probably by accident! Hmm!).

My ultimate favorites were the 'STUART ERWIN SHOW'. Great character actor. And nothing better than any of the 'SHOW OF SHOWS' with Sid Caesar (who had a part in the Wonderful Ice Cream Suit).

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post