Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Research Paper help.

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Research Paper help.
 Login/Join

posted
I'm writing a paper on Bradbury and am wondering wether there is anything I would need to know that could help me. Like did he believe in life on other planets when he wrote "The Martian Chronicles"

Posts: 4 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, he believed a few Martians still hung around the neighborhood...
And generally they were a lot nicer than the Earthlings who came to call... Smiler

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! No offence meant but if you could give me the source thats from(if possible) that be great.

Posts: 4 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Blevens response was a light-hearted joke (as evidenced by the smiley face).

The best source for this kind of answer is probably in "Conversations with Ray Bradbury"--a series of interviews with him over the years. I don't recall him speaking about life on other planets very much. But his view on Martians is that when we get there, we'll be the Martians. Bradbury is definitely an idealist, but that doesn't make him disengaged with reality.

I'm not sure what his view is of life on other planets in general, but don't think he thinks there is currently life on Mars in the sense of intelligent life.

I would keep my focus on Martian Chronicles more intrinsic to the book itself.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark:

I recall something a while back where Ray mentioned his disbelief of other planets being inhabited by intelligent creatures. This would go along the line of his own general philosophy of man's need to conquer space and thus extend the arm of God.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard:

That sounds characteristic of him.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for you ideas and help. I do own Conversations With Ray Bradbury and didnt find anything other than him saying we are the martians. Ah! I see! duh...
thanks

posted Hide Post
I'll be contradictory here (not as if Ray never is!) and say I am SURE I saw a TV interview with Ray saying, "I believe we will touch strange flesh," which seemed to be expressing a direct belief in extraterrestrial life.

Posts: 7304 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well dandelion, other than the fact I've read in two or three interviews VERY recently that he doesn't belive in life on other planets other than humans. Although that could be if the TV interview was before the interviews I have.
Thanks for all the help all, almost finished with my paper.