Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    A New Beginning

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A New Beginning
 Login/Join

posted
I was looking at the Member Profiles and noticed something peculiar.

Uncle, pterran, and jfaronson all had their last post in the fall. Remember what was going on at that time? That's right, elections. Why did they leave and never come back? Pete and Translator may have had their little ongoing thing going on, but why did Julie and Uncle leave? If you read Pete's last post you'll see it's in response to me refusing to get into a debate with him. What happened? I also see we lost Ettil in one of the PASSION OF THE CHRIST threads.

Let's learn from this and try real hard not to get into these heated political or religious debates. 2004 was an ugly year for us. First the "Passion" flame war which was immediately followed by the Michael Moore bruhaha and then, just when things had settled down, the elections got things stirred up again. Meanwhile some health scares for Mr. Bradbury who was dealing with his first anniversaries, birthdays, and holidays without Maggie made the year really suck for him. If not for his Medal and F-451 winning a Hugo along with the support of all those who love him, it may have been unbearable for the poor guy. And we were lashing out at each other, often totally off topic? Maybe we were just blowing off steam. Seems like it's a global thing. For a while there the dogs were blowing off steam. Then sharks. Now it seems the Earth itself is blowing off steam.

Let's never again forget whose sandbox it is we're playing in.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: grasstains,

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Lashing out at each other" is an interesting characterization. I don't remember the regulars -- as a rule -- lashing out at each other.

In the case of the Michael Moore stuff, there were interlopers to the site who simply wanted to attack Ray Bradbury. I'm still convinced this was a coordinated attack. The numbers and repeated expressions make it very difficult to believe the postings were all coincidental outpourings of individual feelings.

Although very happy with the moderating that has been done on these boards, I believe that the posts that simply attacked Ray, attacked members of this board, attacked specific (typically conservative) views, should have been removed in a much more aggressive manner. The regular members were often engaged in defensive posts -- not lashing out at each other. It became obvious very quickly which of the posters caused turmoil on the boards. They were allowed to spew their poison with too much freedom. This is not a constitutional or moral matter of free speech. The board is privately owned and was meant to be a forum celebrating Bradbury's works and vision of the world. Many of those posters could never understand that perspective. I have seen uncle post a few times recently, and would love to see Pete rejoin. But if we get another flurry of attack posts, I hope they are deleted aggressively. It is obvious when we are debating Bradbury or his ideas in good faith, and when persons come here with an agenda of attacking and causing trouble.

Other than that one stipulation, I share your feelings on this.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know if uncle A.G. is our "uncle". If so, it's great to have him back.

"From Greentown" should be making it to our doorstep any day now.

I e-mailed some of the old gang, unfortunately Green Shadow, Ought Not, and uncle never left their e-mail address's.

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello, Mr. Dark,

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I'm still out here, lurking around. I'd gotten the e-mail that I'm sure most of the other regulars got from our good friend Nard about the change of discussion boards and, when a spare moment arose, I activated my account on this new board. I've been skimming the posts on occassion, glad to see my old friends were still here and having the wonderful discussions that make this board so special but I'd vowed to stay in the shadows. (More about that in a sec.) With your kind words, I couldn't stay away any longer, if for no other reason than to say hello. (Oh, and to point out, as I'm sure you already know, that there's a book signing coming up in your neck of the woods, sort of, for the Ray Bradbury biography. Have you made plans already?)

Grasstains, you're right, I'd left back in the fall; unfortunately, I don't recall the subject of my last post and can't find it but I hope I was polite to you. It was always my intention to provide spirited debate and not offend anyone. Forgive me if I did.

Those were some heady days, weren't they? I don't know why Translator left but, for me, I was getting the feeling that I was causing pain to my friends here. It seemed to me that the consensus was that this site should be restricted to discussions of Ray and his work and that other related topics weren't really welcome. When the Michael Moore attackers invaded, I refused to sit quiet on the sidelines. Others suggested that ignoring these types would encourage them to move on but I disagreed. I saw it as an opportunity to evangalize about Bradbury topics. Who knew when these people would again have their views challenged? Again, I always tried to be polite, yet spirited, in my debates, and tried to consider the other point of view if expressed in a civilized manner before pointing out the faults of their thinking, and I think I succeeded in not making any personal insults. (Oh, okay, there was that guy that came on for a while who used all those million dollar words and I might've not been on my best behavior but, who could resist the temptation to attempt to deflate his ego a bit? Certainly not I.)

But I finally realized I was no longer contributing to this site. That is to say, maybe I was, in fact, encouraging uncivilized discourse, no matter my intent, by engaging these types. Perhaps you all were right: maybe by ignoring them, they'd go away. They're certainly not around anymore, are they? So I made the sad decision to stay away from the site and let things work out without me. (Some may say I just got mad and took my marbles and went home. Fair enough. I can't say my feelings were entirely unhurt.) Besides, my time was becoming increasingly limited and I had to choose where I'd spend that time. The Bradbury boards had to go.

Though I'm not one of the original members here, I think I can brag a bit and say I've been around longer than most. And I'd like to keep coming back, if time permits, and I'd like to post again, if I can find a way to contribute. But please know this: no matter what happens, new board or not, spirited debate or simple routine responses to new arrivals, I consider you all my online friends and I have deep admiration for many of you. There's a certain comfort to be had in knowing you're still here, and on the old board.

My very best,

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pete:

Delighted to see you. I hope you feel you can squeeze some time back in and become, once again, one of our most valued contributors.

What are the details of a signing in our neck of the woods. If I could pull it off, I'd love to get my copy autographed by Sam, and would love to get together with you (and Sam?) for dinner.

As anyone knows who read the boards during the Moore and Passion days, I just have a hard time letting some of the more egregious posts go without responding. In theory, these people go away when ignored, but some were very insulting and very persistent.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pete,

Yes, you were kind to me. It's good to have you back.

posted Hide Post
quote:
"I just have a hard time letting some of the more egregious posts go without responding."

Step 'over' the poop, not 'in' it.

posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark,

Sam, or his publisher, has a website for his book and lists his upcoming appearances. The one I'm talking about occurs in May, I think, at a Barnes and Noble in Dallas. (His site has the address but I know the B&N as the one next door to a Cheesecake Factory. My wife isn't up to confirm but I believe it's on Northwest Highway. I only know how to get there if I'm driving and my wife gives me directions.

Dinner with you and Sam? Love to, if I can arrange to get down that way. But if not all three of us, certainly you two and, of course, a full report for those of us unable to attend, no? And would this site allow for the posting of pictures of such an event?

Grasstains,

Whew. I'm glad our exchange was polite.

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll check out Sam's site and get details. I hope I can make it. May 1st is a Sunday, so I wouldn't have a work/teaching conflict. Nard is a master of posting pictures here. I'll have to get step-by-step instructions from him.

posted Hide Post
May 15

Book Signing and Discussion 2 p.m.
Barnes & Noble
Lincoln Park
7700 West Northwest Hwy. Ste. 300
Dallas, TX 75225
214-739-1124

May 15th is the date of the Dallas one. It looks like there is a discussion, also. I'll call B&N for details. Sam: I'll plan on seeing you there! That is a busy schedule you have there, Sam!

posted Hide Post
Grassstains: I like your line, "step over the poop, not in it". Some day, I may be mature enough for that wisdom. It's a very good reminder. Thanks!

posted Hide Post
Nah...mature a bit, maybe. But grow up, never. Remember "Kick The Can" from TWILIGHT ZONE: THE MOVIE? That has always reminded me of something RB would write. Sometimes we can't help but stepping in poop, sometimes it's thrown at us. All I ask is we try real hard to avoid stepping in it while we play our version of "kick the can".

Pete said:
"there was that guy that came on for a while who used all those million dollar words"

I remember that guy, H.R. Puffypants?