Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Trying to find a title of a short story. Can anyone help?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trying to find a title of a short story. Can anyone help?
 Login/Join

posted
I'm trying to find a title of a short story I read several years ago. I think it was written by Ray Bradbury, but I may be wrong. It is about a man who regularly goes to a small cafe/restaurant.
One day he is sat at a table with a stanger. The stranger winds up revealing that he is some type of superior human being, Homo Sapian Superior, rather than Homo Sapian Sapians, and that his kind is getting ready to take control of the Earth. Before he leaves, the stranger uses a burst of light to erase the man's memory. The kicker is that the man is blind and he remembers the whole encounter.
Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Posts: 2 | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The above story is not by Ray Bradbury.

"Don't Look Now," by Henry Kuttner, has resemblances to Ray's story "Boys! Raise Giant Mushrooms in Your Cellar!" in that they both involve two men discussing a Martian takeover of Earth by subversive means.

"Don't Look Now" also bears a lot of resemblance to an episode of "The Twilight Zone" titled "Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up?" They both involve discussion in a public place (I believe a bar in the story--I haven't read it in many years--and a cafe in the show--) of a subversive Martian takeover. The ending is the same in that

SPOILERS for both

the Martian is revealed by the presence of a third eye. If a third eye doesn't figure in your story, it isn't the Kuttner one.

You can try here http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1...en&btnG=Search&meta= and here http://forums.abebooks.com/abesleuthcom as the two best places to start searching for the story you described, and there are others.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just want to mention two things to people submitting requests to identify stories not by Ray Bradbury.

1. If you do find or remember what you're after, please, PLEASE post the answer back here on the SAME thread! Otherwise people out there will still be looking for it!

2. If my two suggestions of free Book ID forums do not work, try here: http://www.logan.com/loganberry/stump.html but be aware they do charge $2 a stumper!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post