Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ray and Disney: AARP Magazine Article

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray and Disney: AARP Magazine Article
 Login/Join

posted
For all of you folks out there fifty or over who belong to AARP (or who have parents, relatives and friends who belong), the November/December 2003 issue of AARP: THE MAGAZINE, has a great article by Ray, "Dancing in Walt's Time", in which he discusses his close friendship with Walt Disney. My favorite part of the article? At one point, Ray suggested to Disney that he hire Ray to come work with him on a project. Disney replied: "It's no use. You're a genius and I'm a genius. We'd kill each other the second week."

Posts: 2468 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! That sounds like a good one. Have to locate a copy.

Here's something Ray did couple years ago. Don't know if it's available today. It was about Walt, and titled:
"Walt Disney and Other Memories of the Future."

(click on, or type into finder http://www.mouseshoppe.com/product.cfm?ProductID=1109

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you imagine how different Disney would be today if Walt had given it over to Ray? I saw that Roy Disney, Walt's nephew has quit his position protesting Michael Eisner's leadership.

Posts: 135 | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand that Walt Disney was a Mormon. It is a fascincating subject how religious beliefs shape a person's outward behavior. Tho I do not know Disney's personal life, I do see what created effort was brought forth from his studios. It was non offensive. (Oh, some body out in spaceland will debate that).

Can't say much for Eisner. Now, under Eisner, Disney has a half dozen movie companies, working under various names, some R rated. You would never know you were watching a Disney movie. "Something Wicked This Way Comes", a Disney movie, lost so much money, that the Disney name was thought to be poison in the box office. So, the very next movie was "Splash"...and the Disney people replaced the name, 'Touchstone'. Tho that was before Eisner's control, it did signify a change in audience. Baser instincts have taken over in a general way, and we have what we now have.

I think there was a statement made long while ago that went something like ...Ray telling Walt that he should run for Mayor of Los Angeles. And Walt Disney saying, why should I run for Mayor when I'm King....

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, Nard, you've been misinformed as to Disney's religion: http://www.hollywoodjesus.com/disney_mouse.htm

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that Roy Disney, the last link to the legendary family of creativity, has actually been "run out of town" by an age clause in the legal contracting by which Disney Corp. now functions.

Ironic, in most cultures age brings a clearer appreciation of the wisdom of seniority. In our, it brings a pink slip.

Yes: see- http://money.cnn.com/2003/11/30/news/companies/disney.reut.reut/

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion:

Oh Wow!!

I always thought Disney was a Mormon. But, a Congregationalist? That implies a lot. I wonder just how deeply he was into it. They were Calvinistic. (Meaning that things were predetermined). They came to New England in the 1620's, landing in Plymouth. This is a serious church!

Boy oh Boy! I think Eisner should have been sat down somewhere along the way and forced to read a little about Disney's take on morality in his work. But, there wasn't the money to be made in THAT nowadays, perhaps, as there is in other things contemporary audiences want....