Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    2001: A Space Odyssey

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2001: A Space Odyssey
 Login/Join

posted
Okay, this thread isn't about Clarke's masterpiece (unless you want it to be) -- I just wanted to say that this is the "2,001"st post in this forum, writing that much hasn't used up all the "space," and it is "odd" that the 2,000th post was about Arthur C. Clarke, so it just seemed worth celebrating!

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What an uncanny coincidence... maybe those numerologists are onto something.

Anybody have any good lotto numbers?

;-)

Posts: 18 | Location: Utah | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 2001.. I believe cars look a lot like the ones we have today. In 2001, those TV's that are supposed to hang on the walls, have come to pass. . I also think that haircuts will look like the ones we have today, as well as, gee, a lot of things....

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In early 2001... I believe ...a posting cannot be accidentally duplicated, because this particular Website would not exist...

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 01-22-2003).]

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
and all topics which have a lot of answers are mostly started by dandelion. And in 2001 there appeared the lord of the rings movie...
And also there were some nice things...
It was not bad year. But what year has come? Any thoughts what it will bring? I think no end of the world.

Posts: 16 | Location: msk, russia | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's nice, ezh, that you think 2003 will not bring the end of the world. The major concern now would be finding a way to avoid the seemingly impending war being brought about by the one outstanding tragic event of 2001. Opinionated as he is, I'm sure Arthur C. Clarke would have something to say about it. Only thing is, I have no idea what that would be as HE HAS NO OFFICIAL WEBSITE, unbelievable as that is! Also, as far as I ever heard, the movie "2001: A Space Odyssey" was not rereleased or shown anywhere in 2001. Afraid some of our greatest living treasures are being taken for granted if not neglected!

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion::::
Arthur and Ray have been friends for forever...Find a copy of the book, "Mars and the Mind of Man".

Hey, have you seen this?....Maybe there is a way to E-Mail Arthur C. Clarke thru this:
click on: www.clarkeinstitute.com/cv.html

posted Hide Post
Unfortunatly if they remade the 2001 the movie the prehuman apes would be all perfectly rendered, and computer generated, along with the majority of the space shots. The original Kubrick version would still be the best drive-in make out movie of all time. But in 2003 we all have Big screen TVs with Surround sound, and Sub-woofers that vibrate your insides like you are in the spacecraft. A little like the playroom in "the Veldt" which eliminates the drive-in
entirely.

[This message has been edited by uncle (edited 01-26-2003).]

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
uncle:

Per your discussion of movie making....

I'm still waiting for 3 -D movies 'without' glasses. I read (about 5 or 6 years ago) that, on a very small scale, the technique is available... but only producing an image 1 or 2 inches across. When the process was improved...the application in the beginning, the article said, would be surgery, where a doctor would be able to see a part of an internal organ, or area to be operated on... outside the body, all angles. (Never heard much about it since...)

If it ever came to motion pictures, that would generally be it ...for flat images....
(but costs, etc. would probably make flat images a standard, like black&white movies amidst the world of color). A breathtaking new vista would appear....for good and bad, I am sure, like nowadays....

I've always enjoyed '''stereograms,''' since I saw my first one back around 1984 thereabouts...because it's like visiting something of the beginnings of what we hope to see someday....

click on, or type into finder: http://www.eyetricks.com/3dstereo.htm

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 01-27-2003).]

posted Hide Post
Nard:::

How unbelievably eerie that you should mention the 3D applications for surgery...it just so happens that, for about 5 years, I worked for the very company you're talking about. We used a laser, a series of mirrors, and special holographic film to burn an image and create a hologram. It was then used in surgeries, mainly because it was a true-to-life size model. A doctor could hold a screw "inside" the projected image of a knee, for example, and know exactly where it should go, how long it should be, etc.

Our holograms were about 18X12 inches, and we could have made them bigger. We could produce movement, but only for about a second or two. Color, too, was possible, but was limited to only 4 colors. I know eventually 3D movies without those glasses are entirely possible, and the CEO actually spoke with several companies in hopes of expanding the technology to fields not related to medicine. Last I heard, the company was not doing well. I'm guessing that somebody will pick up the technology and run with it...

In the future, many, many things will be done with holograms. Certain holograms, when produced correctly, can be cut right down the middle, then the two smaller pieces each have a perfect hologram. Cut it in half as much as you want, and it will still be a perfect (but visually smaller) hologram. So! Your CD-ROM drive will be replaced by a hologram reader, because it can be miniscule in size, but have every bit of data intact. Here's my old employer's website, for any who are interested: www.voxel.com .

I agree with uncle: the quality of home theater equipment is becoming so good that pasttimes like drive-ins and even movie theaters aren't as thrilling as they used to be. Maybe theaters will be completely obsolete someday, and a "pay-per-view" type service will prevail.

Posts: 18 | Location: Utah | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know. I still like getting out of the house and being in a community of people sharing the same experience. Also, the massive size of the screen in a large, modern theater is just not matched in a home entertainment center -- no matter how good the image or sound.

And who can beat a drive-in? (Just don't tell my kids!)

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I Truly feel that we have lost a legacy of communal outdoor experience by plowing up drive-ins in favor of strip malls parking lots, and heaven forbid shoebox mall mini theaters. I viewed the Premier of all three Star Wars Movies at the now non-existent Centre Theater in Salt Lake City. They had a 70mm projection system with a huge screen, and a complete Dolby sound system. The home system that I have now with 5 channel surround Infinity speakers, and a 32 inch tube T.V. pales in comparison. My wife maintains my favorite part is the THX sound check anyway. Call it a generation gap But, I would much rather sit in front of live musicians than put an MP3 or Walkman on.
And a 32" screen is a Shallow comparison to a good projector, and sound system!

Personally though while working with my Father on a patio at the age of 11 I asked him if I could biuld an enclosed custom chair with a stereo biult into it hinged so you could close every thing down tight, with interiour lighting, and a t.v. They had not made VCR's available for public rental or purchase for another 5 years or I would have had one proposed to put in it to. But my Father being a school teacher saw where my logic was going to go so he nixed my project then and there. Shows my age but I was thinking personal space management. They did'nt even have pc's yet. I mean what are you going to do out in the sticks.

Anyway thats why I went throught so many libraries till I finally got a card at the local University , and called it good.

I am just hoping, and praying that we can recognise the vast archive of resources/technology/information available to us at this time in 2003.

Then step back cut out our differences, and
biuld on our communal strenths we have acomplished so much, its counterproductive to slow down now.

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fascination: Wow! Thanks for the WebSite link....I took a glimpse of it...will spend more time later.

Mr. Dark / fascination / uncle:::

Movies will still be around for awhile. (At least the remainder of my life-time, as we know it)....IMAX is further moving movies into another plateau...IMAX 3-D is amazing...And you have 360 degree Disney Theater...which needs to be 'refined', with clearer images when the camera is moving....

That was the nice thing about Movie-Scan. No Blurr! HEY! What ever happened to Douglas Trumbull's Movie-Scan process? I saw it once, in Los Angeles. It was totally strange. Everything looked like it was LIVE!...or reflected onto a giant mirror from a stage off to the side somewhere... Not film, not digital, not video...but, LIVE!

Now, chapters of Fahrenheit with the wall screens, look common place. Of course, wall screens were around with Edward R. Morrow, in the TV program, Person to Person. I remember him interviewing President Kennedy and his wife. Ceiling to Floor screen. That was 1961.

Beyond 2001:::::Since ...all TV images are already in the air (excluding cable, of course)...no matter where you are... maybe someday... somebody will invent a 'viewer-program' that is also broadcast with the TV images...that allows anyone to see the images formatted onto a "screen"....by simply pulling the screen down ...out of thin air. Maybe it's something you wear, like a ring, that reacts with the broadcast, and allows you to pull down a screen for veiwing anywhere.....The screen is simply a digital masterpiece of invention that vanishes back into ..where everything else is in broadcast 'ethrys'...

(Oookay!)

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 01-30-2003).]

posted Hide Post
Here's my own rather extreme idea as to where television/movies/music may be headed: I think that, a while from now, we'll have technology that will simulate the functions of the optic nerve. I've read about research in this field, but I'm not sure where it's at right now. Initially, it will probably be used to give sight to the blind. BUT! Some large entertainment company will surely get ahold of the technology, and maybe have a device implanted in your body. It will, at the user's request, override the existing "real" signals of the optic nerve and simulate visual stimuli. Tom Brokaw in 3D!!!! WOW!!!

I've read articles stating that very wealthy families are having GPS chips implanted in their children, in the unfortunate incident of kidnapping (ala Elizabeth Smart)... so I really don't think my idea is too far fetched.

Still, I'd rather that Nard's idea came about - a ring or something peripheral. Like Faber says, I'd want something I could blot out with my hand, or, in this case, pull off of my finger and throw it in a drawer.

I think one thing is glaringly apparent: nearly everybody on this message board has a wonderfully active imagination.