Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Peruvian Spring

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Peruvian Spring
 Login/Join

posted
Several moments ago I was sitting at my computer wrapped in a blanket and working on my latest foray into the intangible realms of writing fiction. While attempting to describe something, my mind inexplicably flashed back to four years ago when I first read Fahrenheit 451 and I recalled the phrase 'A little knowledge is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Peruvian spring.' I decided to be whimsical and ran a few internet searches trying to find the origin of the axiom since Peru is not exactly one of the places that come to mind when contemplating wisdom or truth. I came up with no meaningful results.

So I'm wondering, does anyone know the history behind this phrase? Is it mythological? Is it something personal out of Bradbury's life? Am I completely off my rocker to even be discussing this? Has my memory failed me and mixed up metaphors?

Comments, replies, and general abuse welcome.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

By the way . . . Peru, given it's "leftover" ancient temples, etc., may actually be a good place to seek for wisdom and knowledge, but the location of Peru (as you'll see in the quote) is an improper derivitive of the original quote.

"Meaning
A small amount of knowledge can cause people to think they are more expert than they are and consequently make unwise choices.

Origin
A little learning is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, and drinking largely sobers us again. Alexander Pope (1688-1744) - An Essay on Criticism ."

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 02-18-2004).]

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nifty. Thanks.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post