Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    What is your favorite story in 'The Illustrated Man'?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your favorite story in 'The Illustrated Man'?
 Login/Join

posted
What is your favorite story in The Illustrated Man? I hated most of the stories, since they didn't make much sense to me, but I really did like 'The Other Foot.'

Get Paid To Search The Web! It works to! I was paid 123.02 all ready! Trust me! http://netbux.org/?r=152152

Posts: 4 | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did THE LONG RAIN not make sense to you, or MARIONETTES INC., or THE VELDT?

Those stories, along with THE OTHER FOOT, are my favorites. I can't pick just one.

The amazing thing about THE OTHER FOOT is that RB wrote the story long before having a sympathetic view on the race/equal rights issues had become popular, acceptable, or even safe.

=============================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rocket Man, Zero Hour, The City, The Rocket, Exiles...? What's not to like!

One must read the ss "Illustrated Man" (obviously not included in the collection). It appears in Bradbury Stories collected and was published in 1950, a year before the IM collection was released. The original "Prologue," of course, covers the premise of the book's underlying theme. The ss of Illustrated Man story is more detailed and does deviated from the "carnival worker meets time-travelling witch on a dirt road and goes hunting for her for 50 yrs." scenario that precedes the IM collection and also related later in the movie.

An interesting double-play on basically the same event that Mr. Bradbury is so keen to devise.

Also, concerning the Illustrated Man sitting on the makeshift wooden stand depicted on the cover of the original, red cover Bantam pb: amazing the artist remains "unknown!" when it is such a classic work of art. It is my favorite of all of those done to grace the many IM publications that have been done.

Posts: 2808 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did understand The Long Rain and The Veldt, and I don't really remember Marionettes Inc. But I liked The Other Foot much more.

Get Paid To Search The Web! It works to! I was paid 123.02 all ready! Trust me! http://netbux.org/?r=152152

Posts: 4 | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post