Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Gravesite

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gravesite
 Login/Join

posted
I am planning a roadtrip to celebrate college graduation and would like to include a visit to Ray Bradbury's grave. Does anyone know where that may be?

Posts: 4 | Location: myspace.com/legolastwinkle | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m very happy to tell you that Ray Bradbury is alive, writing and making appearances. My best wishes to you.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
woah. I guess I misunderstood the "in memoriam" on his site. I see now it's about his wife. I guess I was just so startled about seeing something about a death on the site that I didn't pay much attention to who it was. I blame 4 years of having to read boring text in college. hope i didn't offend anyone (rather disrespectful of his wife...)

Posts: 4 | Location: myspace.com/legolastwinkle | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello nhymmm, you and I are roughly the same age and I wrote something a little while ago comparing the chance to see Mr. Bradbury speak to reading Poe and finding out he was still alive.

My point is that Bradbury is among the greats, like Stienbeck or Camus, after reading his brilliance it's almost hard to belive that
someone who has had such a tremendous impact on popular culture world wide is still with us.
Welcome to the board.

Yours mistakenly

Posts: 86 | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, and when he DOES die he plans to be buried on Mars, so just forget the road trip!

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recently Ray explained what words he would like on his tombstone . At the time, he talked about that need to be expectant of tomorrow with a fire and a passion... of that "can hardly wait for the morning and what it brings" type of attitude...

So, laughingly, Ray said he would like engraved these words about himself:

HE COULD HARDLY WAIT

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just curious: if you find reading text boring, why are you interested in an author enough to visit his gravesite, but not read what you thought was his obituary?

Posts: 103 | Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Walloon:
Just curious: if you find reading text boring, why are you interested in an author enough to visit his gravesite, but not read what you thought was his obituary?

i love reading, i was commenting on the fact that in college you have to read many things that are not interesting and you become used to skimming. i love bradbury's work but didn't know much about his life. when i first visited his page and saw the memoriam i just assumed it was him. i didn't even know he was married. when i clicked on it and saw pictures of a woman i assumed that it was an interview with her about his life. i didn't want to read something that might be depressing. does this suffice as an answer?

posted Hide Post
I can sympathize with what you say about the boring reading. Probably worth it though. Hope you have a good road trip. My son has taken a few and loves it—learned a lot about the country and people too. Hope you’ve got friends going along. Seems to work out better that way.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Recently Ray explained what words he would like on his tombstone . At the time, he talked about that need to be expectant of tomorrow with a fire and a passion... of that "can hardly wait for the morning and what it brings" type of attitude...

So, laughingly, Ray said he would like engraved these words about himself:

HE COULD HARDLY WAIT

"Lord, he thought, I can hardly wait. He laughed out loud. When was the last time you said that? When you were a kid, could hardly wait, had a list of hard-to-wait-for things. Christmas, my God, was always a billion miles off. Easter? Half a million. Halloween? Dear sweet Halloween, pumpkins, running, yelling, rapping windows, ringing doorbells, and the mask, cardboard smelling hot with breath over your face. All Hallows! The best. But a lifetime away. And July Fourth with great expectations, trying to be first out of bed, first half-dressed, first jumping out on the lawn, first to light six-inchers, first to blow up the town! Hey, listen! First! July Fourth. Can hardly wait. Hardly wait!"

(excerpt from Ray Bradbury's short story"First Day", first published in "One More for The Road")

Captain Wilder, Fourth Expedition

Posts: 21 | Registered: 28 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great quote Captain, I think I can respond now with one word thats one of my favs.

RELISH!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Robot, if we are going to have IM we have to stick to the same thread.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL, I get tired of waiting.Smiler

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CaptainWilder: Hey! That's the quote. Good job!

___

Went this evening, Saturday,May 13th, to see Ray's, "The Machineries of Joy" in Pasadena. Heard Ray and Patrick were there last night. Dining, as well before the play, at a Bistro right there next to the theater. Great performances by all. Really! The plays are wonderfully done, even tho the first play is a 'first-class' theological disaster.

The "The Machineries of Joy" end next weekend. I recommend anyone in the area to get over to the theater in South Pasadena and catch them before they're gone...

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Concerning theological disasters, you may want to catch "The DaVinci Code."

Next you know, a grocery list will evolve into holy writ.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post