Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Help me understand

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me understand
 Login/Join

posted
I felt a bit lost in reading "The Next in Line." Would someone please help me see what I'm not seeing?

Posts: 6 | Registered: 03 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To me it's a perfect example of horror at the physical reality of death by those who don't believe in any meaningful existence afterwards. Even if they do, closely contemplating one's own impending death is unpleasant.

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, what happens to Marie? Evidently she dies because Joseph is wearing a mourning band on his arm. But how does she die? Does Joseph kill her? Does she go into a catatonic state and does Joseph have her put into the tomb? But we see her breathing in the end. I don't get it. I really like the story and the way Bradbury handles Marie's obsession and hysteria, and up until the ending I thought I was following the storyline pretty well. But that last paragraph threw me for a loop. Any brainy thoughts out there for this thick-headed bear?

posted Hide Post
It's implied that she died, but maybe they just broke up and she left Mexico another way.

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe so, but Marie must have been one heck of a woman to inspire the wearing of a mourning band after a break-up. I can't say anyone's ever been so moved to do the same for me! Ha Ha!