Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Summary of "Fahrenheit 451"

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Summary of "Fahrenheit 451"
 Login/Join

posted
�FAHRENHEIT 451�
(the temperature at which book-paper catches fire and burns)
by RAY BRADBURY

The story is set in an unnamed futuristic American city .
The fireman�s job isn�t anymore to extinguish fires and help people. Now they collect all forbidden books which are listed on the government list and burn them in the firehouse.
The aim is to keep the people narrow minded and feed their brains with soap-operas they watch every day on big screens. They don�t remember the past neither think about the future. They have to live a sterile life and to be happy. The war outside of town is just a none important part in the news.

Guy Montag is one of these fireman and burns books the whole day. He isn�t really interested in these books someone wrote a long time ago. He�s just doing his job.

But this changes when he meets Clarisse. She is a young girl who sees the world with other eyes than all other people Guy knows. She talks about dreams, feelings and things which haven�t been important for him before. Suddenly this girl disappears and Guy starts to think about his own life. He reads some of the forbidden books and with the help of an old professor he works against the fire department. Captain Beatty, Guy�s boss, doesn�t trust him anymore and wants to burn down his house. Guy kills Beatty in a fight in front of his house. After that he flees from town because his picture is shown on every screen in every house.

Outside of the city he meets a group of old men. Everyone of them keeps a part of the forbidden books in their minds. Guy is save in this group of friends. These like-minded people have escaped from the brainwashed society.

In the same night the disregarded war overcomes the city and everything is destroyed by bombers from the enemy. In the next morning all buildings lay in their ashes and a new era begins.

ps: i have made this summary for my english course. please send me your vote for this text. sorry about of my bad english... still working on it! --> never read a book like this before! the true of our present life was written 50years ago by Ray. congratulation!

Posts: 1 | Location: austria | Registered: 07 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oooh thats a good review u dont mind us using it for our school research do u? Well tough we are anyway! :-P

Posts: 10 | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey i thought ur report was good do u know what u made on it becouse i decided to do a report on it that i have to turn in next week and i only has two days to read it so i didn't really get it all
can i use ur report to base my report on becouse i dont have time to read it again and even if i did i probably wouldn't understand it even though im in 8th almost 9th grade this i a difficult book to read in two or three days
thanks please write back soon
:P

Kat

Posts: 6 | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post