Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The K's--pronunciation?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The K's--pronunciation?
 Login/Join

posted
This is a completely random question, but I figured I'd give it a try.

So I've been a huge Bradbury fan ever since I read The Martian Chronicles, and currently my high school theatre department has just begun the process of producing Bradbury's play adaptation of the novel.

I'm playing the character of Yll K. Now, I've been wondering--how (if it is known) did Bradbury intend the name to be pronounced?

is it "yill", "yeel", "ill" or "eel?" Or any of those? I have no idea if there's actually an answer to this question, but I'm just putting this out there to see if anybody knows anything

Thanks!

Posts: 2 | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This sounds like one of those questions worth referring directly to Bradbury.

Posts: 7304 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn't there a recording of Mr. B reading that?
I bet the Great Philster knows.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~PATRICK~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is there a chance of asking Ray the above question concerning the pronunciation of the name Ylla from 'The Martian Chronicles'?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've just listened to Ray's reading of Ylla, and he pronounces it 'ILL-uh'. And Yll is pronounced 'Ill'.

Another character referred toin 'Ylla' is Dr Nlle. Ray pronounced this 'nil'.

Anyone care to guess how to pronounce Ttt, as in Mrs Ttt from 'The Earth Men? Or Aaa, as in Mr Aaa from the same story?

(I know the answer, and will post it here after some guesses have appeared!)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:

Anyone care to guess how to pronounce Ttt, as in Mrs Ttt from 'The Earth Men?

Refer to Michael Palin in the chemist sketch!

Cori

Posts: 7304 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wow thanks so much... I appreciate the quick response and that makes me feel good to know how Bradbury intended it

About Ttt and Aaa--thus far, we've pronounced those names by just saying the letter three times; aka Mrs. "tee-tee-tee" or Mr. "eh-eh-eh"

Posts: 2 | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray pronounces Mrs Ttt as 'Mrs Tee'!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's the humor in it, I think, that it's impossible to pronounce Ttt, but because you just read it in a book, it doesn't matter. I always thought it was kinda funny.

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...And there's Only One Michael Palin!