Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    VIDE0:::RAY CL0SES 0UT HIS IRISH PLAY Sep.16, 2007
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

VIDE0:::RAY CL0SES 0UT HIS IRISH PLAY Sep.16, 2007
 Login/Join

posted
HERE FIND A COUPLE YOUTUBE LINKS OF RAY BRADBURY AT THE FINAL PERFORMANCE OF HIS PLAY, FALLING UPWARD. THE FIRST YOUTUBE LINK IS RAY INTRODUCING THE PLAY TO THE AUDIENCE. THE SECOND YOUTUBE VIDEO HAS RAY CLOSING OUT THE PLAY WITH WORDS OF APPRECIATION.

BOTH VIDEOS WERE DONE ON SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 16, 2007, THE 2PM PERFORMANCE AT
"THEATRE WEST" IN LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA

LINK 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkV6s3rOtVI

LINK 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMJNAmrbM5E

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very cool, but Lord I need to drop 30 pounds.

I missed Ray's speech because after introducing him I had to run outside to check out this big fire in the Cahuenga Pass, not far from the Theatre. It must have been very disruptive to the wildlife in the Hollywood Hills, because a DEER came running past the theatre along the sidewalk. All while Ray was talking inside.

Such a nice set. And two hours after this video was taken it was all gone.

Posts: 40 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CharlieMount:
Very cool, but Lord I need to drop 30 pounds.

I missed Ray's speech because after introducing him I had to run outside to check out this big fire in the Cahuenga Pass, not far from the Theatre. It must have been very disruptive to the wildlife in the Hollywood Hills, because a DEER came running past the theatre along the sidewalk. All while Ray was talking inside.

Such a nice set. And two hours after this video was taken it was all gone.

As impressive as the play was the striking-of-the-stage was a thing of beauty.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, there's nothing like a well organized demolition.

Posts: 40 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, there's nothing like a well organized demolition.

I hope you kept the photo on the mantle over the bar.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I gave that to the set designer. (It looked better from the audience than it actually was. Just a photo of Ray, blown up, drained of color, turned Sepia, and printed out on plain paper.)

The magic of theatre.

Half the actors were made out of paper-mache. Bet you didn't even notice.

posted Hide Post
Mr. Bradbury celebrates everyday of his life. These clips so generously shared by Nard really represent how far we have traveled together on this site. Several years ago the ball started rolling. Now, with this amazing technology we are beginning to take for granted, we can be in the theater and feel the energy of the occasion.

The 1st video has an amazing moment when RB is telling of the inspiration of the play. When he concludes, there is such an outpouring of affection expressed by the audience. Mr. B's words are really quite eloquent and succinct in their recall of decades ago! Thanks, Nard! We on the East Coast are drawn a bit closer to these significant events by the posts and sights and sounds brought here to the screens in our own homes. Amazing!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I gave that to the set designer. (It looked better from the audience than it actually was. Just a photo of Ray, blown up, drained of color, turned Sepia, and printed out on plain paper.)

The magic of theatre.

Half the actors were made out of paper-mache. Bet you didn't even notice.

The next thing you are going to tell me is that was tea in the whiskey bottles...

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
CharlieMount: Thanks! That's the quickest way to find out we have to cut back on those fries: YOUTUBE! About that "deer" running passed the theatre...now there's a video event missed! Did you happen to see that, or were you told about it? Antlers make nasty scratches on automobiles.

I took a photo of that photo of Ray on the Pub mantle, as everyone was milling on and around the stage after the final performance. I'll have to post it.

fjp451: Thanks for kind words! Where were we before the advent of internet videos? Figure TV and the internet are going to mesh somewheres up the electronics road before long, in impossible to figure-out results. Decades past we waited for and pondered the future-realization of the picture phone. It was far more than we could have thought of. An iPhone would have been sheer fantasy from a vivid imagination. Thank you Steve Jobs and company.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard: When I saw my image on YouTube I realized I should buy you a new camera with a wide-angle lens.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Oh, Thank Ye! Thank Ye!

posted Hide Post
Great Video! That scene of Ray applauding his actors is a classic moment! Thanks!

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, I've been rather busy this week and haven't had much time on the board. I've only just found time to look at your video clips, and am heartily impressed. Other posters have said that it's almost as good as being there, and I agree. It's fantastic that you have been able to get so close to Mr B with your camera. Keep it up!

(By the way, I feel mighty dumb for asking this, but what is all this "Thank ye" stuff?!?)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
...what is all this "Thank ye" stuff?!?

It may be a holdover from "Talk Like a Pirate Day".

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil:
Silly talk. That's about it! Actually, jkt (John Tarpinian)...mentioned getting me a new
camera with wide-angle lens, and that started it.

Last night on local cable, was George Clayton Johnson's KICK THE CAN, on a early Twilight Zone episode. Somehow, I never saw that episode. It was very moving. I saw flashes of 'Field of Dreams' immediately, and nowhere was Ray Bradbury NOT present. Wonder what stories George has hidden away from those early years that he has never published!!

I did a short video of George speaking out his small and large philosophies to a number of people on the 2nd floor of the 'Mystery and Imagination Bookstore' in Glendale, when Ray was being celebrated on his 87th birthday. I'll likely post it on YouTube in the next day or two.