Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Veldt & some help!

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Veldt & some help!
 Login/Join

posted
Ok, so what I need is someone who knows the very first printing of The Veldt...if there was one before The Illustrated Man, and if so, what year this printing occured and where I could find the publishing info. I'm trying to get a thesis, and this is a turning point...so somebody, anybody, please help!
-Annie

Posts: 2 | Location: Bryan, TX USA | Registered: 11 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Veldt" first appeared under the title "The World the Children Made," in the "Saturday Evening Post," September 23, 1950. It's bound to be different from collected versions as Bradbury has a habit of revising his work, almost with every printing. Any reputable university library should have a copy of this and good copying machines. Good luck on your thesis! The first known thesis ever done on Bradbury, by the way, was at Washington State University, my own alma mater, by Rodger Lee Pettichord way back in 1967.

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I graduated from WSU in 1962. I read Martian Chronicles about 1950. The copy came from some of the engineers at the Division of Industrial Research. I went to school with a Ken Petticord.

Technology drives many social things. Edward R. Murrow Spoke at my commencement. He had studied journalism at WSC. WSC had a radio station early on because of experiments in radio conducted by Homer Dana and H.V. Carpenter. I am pretty sure that is why Murrow got into radio-journalism.

"Dimension X" was on the radio about 1950, featuring Ray Bradbury's stories, including "The Veldt" and "Marionettes Incorporated" among others.

Posts: 10 | Location: Genesee, ID, USA | Registered: 18 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post