Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Out of the Mouths of Babes

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Out of the Mouths of Babes
 Login/Join

posted
Perhaps this question has been addressed before, but I promised I would ask:

I teach remedial/SPED/ELL English II in Las Vegas. One of the pieces of literature required for this class is Fahrenheit 451. One of my students, A., who is both SPED and ELL asked me the simple question - if the houses (in F451) are all fireproofed, how can Montag light them on fire? Would they burn to the ground, or would the shells simply smolder?

I would appreciate any answer, and it would validate my kids' opinions.

Thank you in advance,

kristin

Posts: 3 | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doesn't he just burn the BOOKS?

Welcome to the board, Kristin!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the movie the books are all removed from the houses and stacked on a metal frame in the driveway and then doused with a flammable liquid and ignited. Only when the woman (her name escapes me at the moment) refuses to leave her home (which is stocked with books, the attic full, etc.) is there any indication that a fire was started inside a house.

Now as to whether the whole house burned down or not, the movie does not indicate what happened.

Perhaps I will call Ray and ask him and post his answer later.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

The big reason we aren't sure whether the house burns is because Montag screams at Mildred (paraphrase), Do you want to rake the ashes for that woman's bones?

It doesn't really matter, but I would like to be able to give A. an answer. He is completely excited by the book and is understanding, for the first time, how literature can influence life and may serve as an object lesson.

Thanks again.

kristin

Posts: 3 | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps because the woman's house was full of books...and because they sprayed the gasoline INSIDE the house...the house with the nice old lady would burn. (?)

Go with what the BOOK says, too. Not the film.

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Without rereading the book, my inclination is that the house was lined with books, and the books themselves could make a large conflagration producing a pile of ashes even if the place didn't burn. It will be interesting to hear Ray's take on it.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I, too, should read it again; but wasn't Clarisse's uncle's house one of the few 'old-fashioned' ones that wasn't fireproof?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you are right, BII.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post