Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Illustrated Man - new movie
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Illustrated Man - new movie
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
mycroft, a crucial difference is that I,Robot (the book) at least had some common characters in its stories, and a genuine theme. Whereas The Illustrated Man really is a collection of unrelated stories, stitched together with some pieces of (very short) linking text.

...which gives me a metaphor. Let's see: I,Robot is a suit of clothes where each item (jacket, trousers, waistcoat) is made from different material.

But The Illustrated Man is a patchwork quilt, where the only thing the patches have in common is the single thread that holds them together.

(Phew! I think I got away with that one.)

...And to pre-empt a certain Doug Spaulding: I like the way the British say "waistcoat"....

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you mean that you like the way the British say "waistcoat", or you like that they say it?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Waistcoat is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pre-empt is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Phew is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Phew!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Whatever happened with the new Fahrenheit 451 movie? I would think F-451 would be a much more appropriate vehicle for Snyder. I really loved 300 and I could see a similar style for 451.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr Spaulding, why so many posts, each with just a phew (sic) words?

I like the way we say waistcoat AND that we say waistcoat. (Whereas it always amuses me in American films that men go to important functions wearing a vest on top of their shirt. In the UK, we wear our vests UNDER our shirts.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rocket, the new F451 movie has been in the news recently, with Frank Darabont confirming that it's still bein prepared, and with strong (but still unconfirmed) rumours that Tom Hanks will be Montag.

I disagree about 300, though. Although it was a stunning-to-look-at movie, I found it completely vacuous. I like that Snyder is attached to the new Illustrated Man, though; I just hope they have a good script.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Sic is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
philnic, per Spaulding postings~
What better way for Doug Spaulding to rack-up frequent flyer miles?

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by embroiderer:
What better way for Doug Spaulding to rack-up frequent flyer miles?

That too!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
So there!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Right. Write. Rite. Wright.

Posts: 2806 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or in Mr. Bradbury's case, write, write, write, write...

Posts: 2806 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post