Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Story Dates

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Story Dates
 Login/Join

posted
I have a couple of questions for those who are knowledgeable.

I remember reading "A Sound of Thunder" about 20 years ago when I was in High School. I don't remember if it was part of another book or in some publication our school got, but I've long remembered this tale. Can anyone tell me when this one was originally written?

Likewise, I also remember reading "Dark They Were and Golden Eyed", but cannot recall where I read it. It was a short story, not a novel, but it isn't a part of the "Martian Chronicles", whose theme it fit in with very well. What book is this included in?

I haven't read many Bradbury books, I'm afraid, but I do have a few favorites. Last night I was going through a box of cassette tapes and came across something I'd purchased from Blackhawk Films years ago. It was an NBC radio show called "Short Story" and featured Bradbury's "The Rocket". I listened to it on the drive into work this morning and the tape still plays fine after all these years. Even though the story is quite dated, it was still enjoyable to listen to again. I'd forgotten all about having it.

Posts: 2 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK USA | Registered: 21 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sound of Thunder, c. 1952, Crowell-Collier Publishing Co., & In Golden Apples of the Sun collection.
Golden Eyed-1949, by..!?

Horizon - See: http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/authors/Ray_Bradbury.htm
for an extensive listing and dates for RB works.

As for the tape you discovered, The Rocket is one of my favorite quaint stories by Mr. Bradbury. Though not spoiling the children, as do the Hadley's in The Veldt, Bodoni -even though thread-bare - gives his most to his children, with hope their future lives will be that much better because of such an imaginative journey! A true love story!

Now all you have to do is continue reading and enjoying...!

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 11-21-2002).]

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the information. There is a local used book shop near my home which usually has Bradbury books on its shelves. With winter fast approaching, this may be a good time to stock up on good reading material.

[This message has been edited by Horizon (edited 11-21-2002).]

Posts: 2 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK USA | Registered: 21 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post