Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ray Bradbury and Tennessee Williams?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray Bradbury and Tennessee Williams?
 Login/Join

posted
I am doing a research paper on the profile of Tennessee Williams, and I heard mention of him in a couple of Brabduries stories (IE: The watchful poker chip of H. Maitisse and The parot who met papa) And I was curious, were the two friends? Or was bradbury just an admirerer of his work, or..?

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just had a look in the indexes of all my books about Bradbury. No mention of Tennessee Williams anywhere that I can see. (Books I looked in include the Weller biogaphy, the Beley biography, Weist's An Illustrated Life, Conversations with Ray Bradbury, The Life of Fiction, Greenberg & Olander's book, David Mogen, Robin Anne Reid. Not a single mention.)

This doesn't mean that Ray never knew him, but it does suggest that Ray was more influenced by the other writers who he freequently refers to.

It might be a good question to post in the Questions for Ray Bradbury thread that Nard started recently.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In this week's episode of "A Prairie Home Companion," Garrison Keillor complained bitterly about depressing authors whose works were "inflicted" on students. Tennessee Williams was mentioned, as was T. S. Eliot, who Ray has said he "hated."

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray hated Tennessees work? I almost find that difficult to believe. I think that shall be my question to Mr. Bradbury

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know his opinion of Williams or his work either way. Someone asked about Eliot and he definitely stated he hated him.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd have to agree with Bradbury on that. Did anyone really like Cats? No? Didnt think so. I don't like Eliot either. in the words of my peers: "Lame."

posted Hide Post
Um, excuse me--guy with all your answers here. Want to give me a chance to answer? “No? Didn’t think so.”

But…”I’m always right sometimes.”

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not a guy, Sugar.