Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    looking for a short story title...

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

looking for a short story title...
 Login/Join

posted
I read a story in a great works for kids series many years ago that I THINK was a R.B. story - maybe you can help me find it. It was about a nursery where there were walls that were "alive" (film maybe?) and that changed - sort of like the parlor walls in F451. Except that at the end of the story, the kids went into the walls (I think at that point it was a Sarengetti like scene) and were never heard from again.

Does this sound familiar to you? I teach F451 and sometimes There Will Come Soft Rains, and would like to use this one as well.

Let me know if you can - thanks!

Posts: 1 | Location: Bluffton, Ohio, USA | Registered: 12 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The story is called "The Veldt". It appears in Bradbury collections, THE ILLUSTRATED MAN and THE STORIES OF RAY BRADBURY, and has also appeared in several other short-story anthologies. However, it is not the children that disappear into the walls...it's their parents.

Posts: 2465 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two different versions of "The Veldt" on video are available: The Illustrated Man, movie, and in an episode of Ray Bradbury Theater. Both interestingly eerie in their interpretations of where "virtual reality" may bring us.

Remember, this RB story was written 50 yrs. before such technology was even in its infancy.

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 09-12-2003).]

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post