Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    christmas stories
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

christmas stories
 Login/Join

posted
I was browsing in an antiques/collectibles store today when I came across a book called "14 Favorite Christmas Stories." I love Christmas stories, so I picked it up and looked through it. The last story in it is "The Gift" by Ray Bradbury. I read it as soon as I got home and enjoyed it very much. Besides being a Christmas story, it is also a Martian story. Anyway, I was wondering if there are any other Christmas stories Ray has written. Anyone??

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Imskipper-

I had the same question around Christmas. Here is a link to that thread:
http://www.raybradbury.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000403.html

Posts: 85 | Location: San Dimas, CA USA | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Gift", which I believe originally appeared in the December, 1952 issue of Esquire Magazine, was also adopted by Ray into a televison script for a short-lived, 1950's TV series, STEVE CANYON (based on the comic script of the same name). The Christmas theme also appeared in Ray's TV script for the show.

Posts: 369 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wasn't "on board" back in December, so thanks for the link and the information.

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard:
"The Gift", which I believe originally appeared in the December, 1952 issue of Esquire Magazine, was also adopted by Ray into a televison script for a short-lived, 1950's TV series, STEVE CANYON (based on the comic script of the same name). The Christmas theme also appeared in Ray's TV script for the show.

This episode is finally available on DVD! The second DVD set from the STEVE CANYON series has just been released, and includes "The Gift". I have ordered a copy, and anxiously await its arrival. Hopefully in tome for Xmas...

There is a review of the DVD set here, and it refers to "The Gift":

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews...-on-tv-volume-2-the/

And another one here:

http://www.comicmix.com/news/2...-canyon-on-tv-vol-2/

And if you haven't a clue who or what Steve Canyon is or was, here's my rather outdated page on the series and RB episode (complete with unforgivable misspelling of Caniff).

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like that the British say "in tome for Xmas".

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
14 Favorite Christmas Stories."

'The Man' has been adapted for the stage by the man himself and was used as part of his 2007 Christmas show, A Ray Bradbury Christmas.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:

I apologise for the typo, for which I deserve a Freudian slap.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
quote:

I apologise for the typo, for which I deserve a Freudian slap.

Lucky for us, Doug has all the free time in the world to point out our mistakes. Wink

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Lucky for us, Doug has all the free time in the world to point out our mistakes. Wink

Let me clarify: I get home at 4.15, run two miles, have shower, cook supper, eat same, do homework (math!), do Bradbury Board, do Facebook, retire by 9.15 so that I may get up at 5.15 and do it all again!

Free time? What free time?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:

Let me clarify: I get home at 4.15, run two miles, have shower, cook supper, eat same, do homework (math!), do Bradbury Board, do Facebook, retire by 9.15 so that I may get up at 5.15 and do it all again!

Free time? What free time?

As I said, free time... Big Grin

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Free time?

You mean FEE Time.

I pay $99.50 every month for the use of approximately 720 hours of time, depending on the month. Otherwise, I lay in a state of unconsciousness. Doesn't everyone?

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let me clarify: I get home at 4.15, run two miles, have shower, cook supper...

Doug, I can save you some time. Move house, so that you live two miles from your work. Then you can run HOME two miles every night.

More savings: don't cook!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
...Otherwise, I lay in a state of unconsciousness. Doesn't everyone?

In San Francisco, maybe so!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
I like that the British say "move house".

"Live Forever!"