Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Booking Ray?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Booking Ray?
 Login/Join

posted
How exactly does one go about booking Ray Bradbury to give a lecture, speak about his writing, ideas, dreams, etc?

I would assume if it's in Los Angeles, it's not as difficult as say...getting him to come to Iowa to speak at our Graduation ceremony or something to that nature.

Or even just an informal lecture about creative writing, I know so many fans here who would attend.

How much would it cost? Is it even feasible? Who would I contact? Etc etc.

I'd be curious to know.
Thanks,

Bradley

Posts: 1 | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Bradley:

Happened to talk to Ray about this very thing in the last several days...that is, lecturing...being sent out by his publisher, etc etc. And with Ray's health being what it is...stroke not that long ago, the strress of having lost his wife of over 50 years this past Thanksgiving, having to use a walker and a wheeelchair when in public...and turning 84 this year, his answer is a big loud ..."NO!"

He said he has arranged to speak at 3 or 4 libraries in the nearby Los Angeles area thru the summer,'04, and 'that's that!'

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I asked Mr. Bradbury about the likelihood of an East Coast lecture schedule. He seemed quite content even long before his health challenges and recent loss to remain closer to the LA locales he now addresses.

What we Easterners should do to is get some university language departmant to link-up via satellite to some of his presentations. They could fill the house with RB fans who will otherwise never get a chance to hear the The Man speak to the public in person.

Who might be the contact on RB's side to consider making such an arrangement? I have three major universities within 15 minutes of my rural existence that could draw a crowd!

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great idea, fj!! I hope someone can try to make this a reality. I saw him speak a few years back in Chicago, but would love to see him again. Unfortunately, on my schoolteacher budget I just can't fly out to California for a weekend jaunt, so something like this would be the next best thing.

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So be it!

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 01-15-2004).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was so fortunate to hear Ray Bradbury speak recently at Barnes and Noble. He was so fresh and inspiring and even had me close to tears at one point.

Does anyone know how can we get a list of the libraries in LA where Ray will be speaking once the dates are set for Summer '04?

Posts: 2 | Location: Santa Monica, CA, USA | Registered: 28 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NK: A follow up (in addressing my 1/14 post) proved potentially fruitful.

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjpalumbo:
Oh Yes... A satellite hookup would work.

Pearl:
I heard from a reliable source that Ray is speaking at only 4 (four) libraries thru the summer. And all in the Los Angeles area. As to specific ones, can't help you there...

posted Hide Post
Thanks Nard for the info, I will start calling libraries around town and see if I can get specifics. If I find anything out, I'll let everyone know.

Posts: 2 | Location: Santa Monica, CA, USA | Registered: 28 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post