Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Help! My memory is fading!

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help! My memory is fading!
 Login/Join

posted
I am trying to find the title of a short story. The best my memory can recall is Mr. Bradbury wrote it. If he didn't I apologize but would appreciate any help locating the author and title. I remember reading the story for school about twenty years ago. I also believe it was written for the TV screen as well.

Here is a simplified plot:

A man is unhappy with his life. He decides to "get away from it all". A friend suggests he takes this special trip and tells him where to go to buy the special ticket. The man goes to the ticket agent and finally convinces him that he deserves to take the special trip. The ticket agent eventually acknowledges the trip, sells the man the ticket and tells him to meet him (in a barn?) in a few days. The man shows up to the destination and there are other travellers there too. Eventually the ticket agent shows up and starts taking tickets. Our man starts to get cold feet because he has been informed that this is a most wonderful trip but the only catch is he can never return. THe man decides at the last second not to go that maybe this life isn't so bad. So as he turns to leave a big flash of light happens behind him and he turns at the last second to see everyone else stepping out into utopia. He realizes he just blew his chance for complete and total bliss. The door closes and he obviously is left behind. From that moment on every week the man goes back to the ticket agency. Every week the ticket agent denies the existence of the trip and denies he has ever seen our man before.

Again I apologize if this isn't the work of Mr. Bradbury but any help would be appreciated in locating the Title/Author. Also forgive me if my memory doesn't have all the facts correct the central theme is intact but the details are fuzzy.

Thanks in advance,

Buford P.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 05 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buford, this sounds vaguely familiar, but not Bradbury.
I seem to recall a portal like a doorway in an open field?
Anyway, welcome to the board, good luck in your search, and keep on Walking Tall!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could it be Door Into Summer by Heinlein? I can't remember the exact plot but that sounds familiar. Buford, are you by any chance a smalltown sheriff who carries a massive stick to smack unruly citizens and moonshiners? Just curious.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I walk softly but carry big schtick . . . Thanks for the suggestions so far I need some more. I am researching each reply.

posted Hide Post
No it isn't "Door into Summer". BTW it is a short story.

posted Hide Post
Oh, okay, gotcha. I used to love Walking Tall!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the short story "Of Missing Persons," by Jack Finney. Great one by an author of whom I've always meant to read more!

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of Missing Persons," by Jack Finney

Thanks Dandelion. This is what I have been looking for.

posted Hide Post
Always glad to be of help! I'm thrilled whenever I actually know one!

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey! Let's really hear it for her, folks! She's really great isn't she?

Actually, I've checked out a few sites and I'm happy to report that we, no contest, do have the best moderator right here.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was getting ready to say that.....just kiddin, yes we do have the best moderator! (clam clapping while typing) Smiler

posted Hide Post
I am deeply moved by your touching tributes.