Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Word of the day besides "murmur".
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 25

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Word of the day besides "murmur".
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Scherenschnitte !

Mr Braling and his papercutting.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Braling actually does Scherenschnitte. I was inspired to use this as the "word of the day" by Rocky's "snowflake" - a type of Scherenschnitte most of us have done as kids, have we not?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watch out for paper cuts B-Two. I used "snowflake" because it snowed here this morning for the first time this year. Snowflakes are so beautiful and unique, it reinforces the idea that this planet is chock full of beauty, wonder, and teeming with life. It should be a primary concern to preserve and protect it. We really don't know just how unique and rare this planet is, although maybe we do since we cannot find another habitable planet as of yet...
It must take an extraordinary set of circumstances to bring forth a world from the void even with help, dare I say it, from above.Smiler

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wait, I'm changing my word of the day to "frittering"

as in what I'm doing instead of my film project for school.

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
> processing

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gravity, have you heard of "fritters" in your parts. They are deep fried dough, twisted in braids and then covered in confectionary sugar, best eaten hot. Preferably with a fresh cup of coffee!

Years ago, my grandmother and mom would make these for holidays. The men would have a glass of homemade wine and go off to enjoy themselves, sleeves rolled up, Sunday ties undone but not taken off, and when the women weren't looking they'd let us boys have a swig or two of that magnificently matured, perfectly clear, light pink grape juice.

We'd all end up getting yelled at!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sounds good. I wish I wernt on a stinkin' diet. Phooey.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And Frank, the thing about Fritters is that they could be Corn Fritters, Apple Fritters, or pretty much what else you might wish to throw into the batter.

And Wild gravity, I, too, am on a diet, 25 pounds down this morning. South Beach Diet if you might inquire.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WildGravity:
That sounds good. I wish I wernt on a stinkin' diet.

Wern't is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No corn or apples, simply a very light dough, kneaded by hand, and then placed in deep pots of hot oil until the outer crust just browned. They would be removed and then placed on towels to have the excess oil absorbed and covered with the powdery sugar or sometimes sprinkled with cinnamon. Wow!

No one ever waited for them to cool off. Man, with a few of those in a kid's belly, it was "full speed ahead" until we were kicked outdoors to make our inevitable landings. Maybe grandpa's covert little sip had something to do with it, too.

(I know I described my other excursions into his wine cellar somewhere deep within some archived post, right out of Mr. Poe's tale. Though, I always returned unharmed.)

"Absorb" is a good word!

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like to say "toboggan schmaboggan", it's probably my favorite thing to say (other than announcing my impending arrival Smiler) but I rarely get the chance to say it. Whenever somebody is kind enough to mention the word "toboggan" I immediately blurt out "toboggan schmaboggan". I can't get it out fast enough.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Toboggan.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Toboggan schmaboggan.

================================================

"I don't know anything."

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That took 23 minutes.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
And Wild gravity, I, too, am on a diet, 25 pounds down this morning. South Beach Diet if you might inquire.

Wish I had the discipline for the south beach diet. I'm breaking my iet now. *sigh* Going to get a pizza and watch the Kids.