Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ray and Isaac on TV together

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray and Isaac on TV together
 Login/Join

posted
About twenty years ago I watched a daytime talk show where both Ray Bradbury and Isaac Asimoz where both guests. The host asked a question to both - I think it was something along the lines of "if robots keep getting smarter, what will humans do?" Ray went first talked for a minute or two about how robots might develop into a problem for humans, but that humans could always pull the plug on them, which he got laughs from the audience. Asked the same question next, Asimov seemed upset with Bradbury for not explaining Asimov's 3 Laws of Robots, and Asimov went on to explain how they would prevent trouble from the rise of robots.

Can anyone remember this broadcast? What show? What date? Can you remember any of the dialog? My interest in this topic is that it shows that Asimov really believed in his laws; they weren't just a literary gimmick to him. I was actually quite surprised at his comments to Bradbury and his strong support for his laws outside of SF.

Remember, this account of the show is taken from memory 20 years or more ago.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about that TV show, but I do know that Asimov did indeed believe in his three laws of robotics. He wrote an essay once which demonstrated that the three laws actually apply to all machines humankind has invented, including primitive ones like knives.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post