Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Mexican stories: Joseph & Marie?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mexican stories: Joseph & Marie?
 Login/Join

posted
Off the bat I know of 2 Mexican stories featuring
Joseph & Marie, "Interval in Sunlight" and
"The Next in Line." These are some of Ray's best
stories, IMHO. Does anyone know if there are any additional stories related to this sequence? Were they part of a planned, longer work? Any details
appreciated!

Glenn

Posts: 4 | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
None that I know of. They were inspired by Ray's traumatic trip to Mexico with a friend. It's interesting to note Marie is the viewpoint sympathetic character with whom author and reader identify.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are various other stories with a Mexican setting (The Candy Skull is one. The Fox and the Forest is another), but they are all quite unrelated in terms of characters and events.

I seem to recall there was some mention of these stories being either collected together or woven together at some point - possibly in Sam Weller's biography of Ray, or in Eller & Touponce's The Life of Fiction. (Ray's equally diverse Irish stories were eventually woven into a more or less coherent novel (Green Shadow, White Whale), so it can be done.)

I have no idea whether this idea went anywhere, and I don't have any more detailed recollections I'm afraid.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, should've checked Eller & Touponce.
The 2 stories were going to frame others set
in Mexico (although not involving the same
characters). Too bad, it would've made a good
book!

Glenn

Posts: 4 | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post