Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Martian Chronicals "Night Meeting"

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Martian Chronicals "Night Meeting"
 Login/Join

posted
What do you think the significance of the Martian and Tomas "agreeing to disagree"?

Do you think there are possible connections between this story and the historical events durnig the time in which it was written?

Posts: 1 | Location: Atlantic Beach, Florida, US | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyp187:
What do you think the significance of the Martian and Tomas "agreeing to disagree"?

Do you think there are possible connections between this story and the historical events durnig the time in which it was written?

I was glad to see this topic because from everything Bradbury wrote I enjoy the most reading of this Night Meeting.
What about conncetion between time and this story. As I looked now, it was written in period 1946-1950. That is after World War. Cold War didn't start yet, yes?

Do you mean SU and US when speak about Martian and Tomas's "agree to disagree"?
It can be so, but for me Bradbury's things are more personal, telling not about historical events, but of differencies of people in general and need to accept another no matter how different this another is. And about things which are not significant when meet another person - different past, vision of details; and things which are significant ever - the sincere smile, the good attitude to people (do you remember the place: "But Tomas had swum in blue rivers on Earth, with strangers passing on the road, and eaten in strange houses with strange people, and his weapon had always been his smile. He did not carry a gun. And he did not feel the need of one now, even with the little fear that gathered about his heart at this moment. The Martian's hands were empty too"?).

Posts: 13 | Location: Tbilisi, Georgia (Caucasus, Former SU) | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post