Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Dandelion Wine Contents

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dandelion Wine Contents
 Login/Join

posted
I’ve always wanted to have a Table of Contents for “Dandelion Wine”. I know that various lists of chapters have appeared hear and there but always without page numbers. And page numbers don’t do a lot of good when there have been more than one publisher making the book available over the years. I believe that a representation of each bridge and chapter’s first line is the best way to set up a generic contents of the book and I offer one here. I could keep it to myself but I can’t believe I’ve done it without errors and I hope you can point those errors out to me. Also I’m inclined to share it. Until I feel that it is error free, I’m going to call it “My preliminary version of the Table of Contents of ‘Dandelion Wine’”. Then when it’s error free I’ll rename it “My final version…”

For the purposes of this list I have given each bridge and story a number and called them chapters. Each bridge I have also named One or Two or Three, etc. After the bridge name or the story title I have placed first the page number of the 1964 paperback Bantam Pathfinder edition and second the page number of the 1999 hardbound Avon Books edition. Next is a representation of the text of the first line in the prose.

MY FINAL VERSION OF THE TABLE OF CONTENTS OF
“DANDELION WINE”

Chapter 1, Bridge One, 1, 1, “It was a quiet morning…”
Chapter 2, “Illumination”, 3, 4, “Crossing the lawn that morning…”
Chapter 3, “Dandelion Wine”, 9, 13, “The town, then, later in the day…”
Chapter 4, Bridge Two, 12, 17, “You did not hear them coming…”
Chapter 5, “The Sound of Summer Running”, 14, 20, “Late that night…”
Chapter 6, Bridge Three, 19, 28, “He brought a …”
Chapter 7, “The Season of Sitting (Part 1)”, 21, 31, “Yes, summer was…”
Chapter 8, Bridge Four, 24, 35, “In front of the…”
Chapter 9, Bridge Five, 25, 37, “Watching him…”
Chapter 10, “The Night”, 26, 39, “Grandfather walked…”
Chapter 11, Bridge Six, 33, 49, “Late at night…”
Chapter 12, “The Lawns of Summer”, 34, 51, “Grandfather smiled…”
Chapter 13, “The Happiness Machine”, 38, 57, “On Sunday morning…”
Chapter 14, Bridge Seven, 47, 70, “Twice a year…”
Chapter 15, “Season of Disbelief”, 50, 74, “How it began…”
Chapter 16, Bridge Eight, 58, 86, “You got the…”
Chapter 17, “The Time Machine”, 59, 88, “Seems like the town…”
Chapter 18, Bridge Nine, 66, 98, “Long after…”
Chapter 19, “The Green Machine”, 68, 100, “Bang!”
Chapter 20, “The Trolley”, 74, 108, “The first light…”
Chapter 21, “Statues”, 78, 114, “The facts about…”
Chapter 22, Bridge Ten, 86, 125, “’Tom,’ said Douglas…”
Chapter 23, “Exorcism”, 87, 126, “She came out…”
Chapter 24, Bridge Eleven. 98, 142, “For what it’s…”
Chapter 25, “The Window” (aka "Calling Mexico"), 99, 143, “And then there is…”
Chapter 26, Bridge Twelve, 104, 150, “Boom!”
Chapter 27, Bridge Thirteen, 105, 152, “There!”
Chapter 28, "The Swan", 107, 154, “And out there…”
Chapter 29, Bridge Fourteen, 119, 171, “Douglas and Tom and…”
Chapter 30, “The Whole Town’s Sleeping”, 121, 174, “The courthouse clock…”
Chapter 31, Bridge Fifteen, 135, 195, “Good grief…”
Chapter 32, “The Leave Taking”, 138, 199, “She was a…”
Chapter 33, Bridge Sixteen, 142, 205, “A Ghost!”
Chapter 34, “The Tarot Witch”, 144, 208, “There she sat…”
Chapter 35, Bridge Seventeen, 157, 227, “Faintly the voice…”
Chapter 36, Bridge Eighteen, 159, 229, “From noontime…”
Chapter 37, “Green Wine For Dreaming”, 162, 234, “The sidewalks were…”
Chapter 38, Bridge Nineteen, 171, 247, “The next morning…”
Chapter 39, “Dinner At Dawn”, 172, 248, “There was a great…”
Chapter 40, “The Season of Sitting (Part 2)”, 181, 262, “And then, quite suddenly…”

Edited per philnic's observation on 10/14/05
Renamed to "FINAL" version on 10/25/05

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chapter 31,

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks great!! Thanks for posting it. I wish there were an authorized version with titles and chapters. It makes it very difficult to discuss the book with someone who has another edition. It's very hard to cross reference someone to a chapter you want to discuss.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good work, Chapter 31! Some minor adjustments, though:

Chapter 25, "The Window" is also quite well known under the alternate title "Calling Mexico"

Chapter 28, Bridge Fourteen, 107, 154, “And out there…” - this is actually a short story called "The Swan", and can be found in Bradbury Stories.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, philnic. That’s exactly the kind of information I need. Changes made.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you should submit these suggestions to the publisher who currently owns the printing rights...?
You never know. They may incorporate them into a new edition of the book and give you credit.

Adventure Books-the paperback imprint for discountebooks.net

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind suggestion but I’m disposed to decline.

posted Hide Post
It’s been a while since anyone recommended any changes to my version of the table of contents to “Dandelion Wine” shown above--although I’ll always be open to any--so I’m renaming it my “Final” version.