Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Can't Remember a Story Name

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can't Remember a Story Name
 Login/Join

posted
There was this Bradbury short story I read once, but I can't remember which collection it was in or what it was called.
It starred an old couple who were trying to kill each other, though other people may have accidentally gotten bumped off at some points. In any case, they try their damnest to kill each other, but the attitude is real jovial, and in the end they kill each other with poisoned drinks accidentally simultaneously. I mean, the drinks are poisoned on purpose, but they didn't mean to go out at the same time.

Does that ring a bell for anyone? Sorry if I trouble you.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KChasm:
There was this Bradbury short story I read once, but I can't remember which collection it was in or what it was called.
It starred an old couple who were trying to kill each other, though other people may have accidentally gotten bumped off at some points. In any case, they try their damnest to kill each other, but the attitude is real jovial, and in the end they kill each other with poisoned drinks accidentally simultaneously. I mean, the drinks are poisoned on purpose, but they didn't mean to go out at the same time.

Does that ring a bell for anyone? Sorry if I trouble you.

I remember the story, but the name escapes me. I'll go check my short story collections. It's the story where they accidentally kill other people and store them in the refrigerator, right?

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nico:
It's the story where they accidentally kill other people and store them in the refrigerator, right?

It could be. Possibly. I dunno. They do kill some people accidentally, in any case.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd say...possibly NOT a Bradbury story. I don't recall any story with people being poisoned like described, or put into a fridge; that doesn't sound like Bradbury-style. Husband and wife scenario could have been Fox in the Forest, and there's a couple of others that come to mind, but no. So, I'd say "NO", not a Bradbury story.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is Bradbury!
"The Very Gentle Murders", from "Quicker Than The Eye".

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
It is Bradbury!
"The Very Gentle Murders", from "Quicker Than The Eye".

Yes! That was it. And Nard, the manner in which the story is told is much gentler than the title or plot suggests.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like more than one of us needs to brush-up on our Bradbury. I didn't recognize the story either.

Happy 5th Birthday, Nard.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post