Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Reading Space

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reading Space
 Login/Join

posted
Bradbury's stories in particular completely take me away and absorbs my attention. I still need a quiet spot thats conducive to lift off.

Where is your favorite reading space?

My alltime favorite space to read is when camping out in the middle of the woods reading sometimes until the sun goes down and I'm practically reading by starlight. Theres other good spaces, my office reading over a good cup of coffee.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back or front porch with a nice drink and a lit pipe.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the summer, on my patio, either first thing in the morning with a cup of coffee or at dusk, with a glass of wine. I am surrounded by hundreds of flowers, plants and bushes.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I first started reading Bradbury, my favorite reading place in summer was up a tree.

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In winter; fireplace, easy chair. In summer; air conditioner, easy chair. But one year I read Huckleberry Finn and the Tom and Huck shorts in a chair under an elm tree facing the town pool my daughter swam in daily. That was a good place to read.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Howdy all,
I love to hear about the different inspiring ways and ideas people initiate not only to solve problems but just how they celebrate life as well. Thanks all for sharing that slice and opening the window a little (Dandelion, two things. One, I absolutely applaud you reading in a tree, that is so marvelous and when it gets warm, I'm climbing, probably our eighty foot pine tree that was our x-mas tree in 1968, we bought house from my parents 12 yrs. ago. I won't go that high though. The other thing that I almost don't have words for how great it is, is your analogy of the window opening on Ray's story and closing and it still goes on, that is so very true! Sometimes I wish I could re-open some of those now for another peak at what they are up to. Just wanted to mention that.) Chapter, I also am clapping out loud at your story too! Very moving and a great memory I'm sure. Where do you get Huck & Tom shorts? Wally-World? K-mart??? Seriously though, sometimes I do need the solitude to have lift off when I read, but ironically sometimes I can sit in the backyard with frantic activity all around and get deep into the book climbing up out of it to the point of getting the bends to answer a question from one of the kids or a lick in the face from the dog. There is an ancient, little used swing set, no grass from dog and kids, a trampled trampoline dangerously on its last leg, and a concrete porch/patio that is crumbling with the force of ice in the winter and weeds in the summer back to dust. I tell you this not because I am dismayed at this situation but because I cherish it. Someday though I would love to build a grotto of some kind, maybe Chinese, Japanese, or even Martian.

Shortened version of above statement: Thanks all, I too like to read in my back yard.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, the window thing was from my best friend. He comes up with some real inspired ones.

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion, I thought that was just the perfect way to describe it. I also thought that Braling was right on the money when he described a total sensory experience when reading Bradbury. i.e. you are there, no question. What other authors do that to that extent that you know of?

posted Hide Post
Robot Lincoln...note my post elsewhere, but to respond directly to you I found, when I spoke with Ray last Sunday, that he hasn't room to hang your mobile, but he liked it very much. He has so much other stuff around it is hard to place any thing any where.

I wanted to ask him if there might be a "Ray Bradbury Museum" someday, but didn't think it might be an appropriate question. But when you think of it, it seems only appropriate that all of his collections, books, manuscripts, etc., etc., be made available for viewing. We will have to wait and see.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah...and hopefully we will have to wait a LONG time! A very long time. Smiler

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's why I thought a mobile would be perfect! If the ceilings are not too low and the mobile too low-hanging to create a problem, he shouldn't have used up all his ceiling space! And I've been harping on that museum concept for some time now.

posted Hide Post
I really do appreciate you asking that for me biplane. It made me feel special when he called it an art-mobile in my book. Someday soon, I may try my hand at selling some on a webpage or something. Changing the subject now, as I've said lately, I've been on a major Ray Bradbury reading tangent. I've read at least ten books in the last two months, which is alot for me, starting with the oldest first. I have noticed something that I find intriguing as I'm reading all of these books. So far, two words keep cropping up what seems like to me, over and over more than others. The words are murmur and billion, and the variations of those. Wouldn't it be interesting to download every word that he has written and see what the top ten words were? Have you all noticed any others that occur repeatedly?