Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Help! Need a quote from Doodad

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help! Need a quote from Doodad
 Login/Join

posted
Hi, all,

I need an exact quote from the 1943 story "Doodad". I only have the Russian translation, and the place I need, where the store owner explains what he's selling, goes something like this (translating back into English):

---------
We deal here with the emergence of semantically inexact denotation, suitable only to describe any object: from chicken egg to crank case. A wig or a rag can be called "a doodad". Doodad is not any particular object. It is a thousand different objects.
---------

Thanks in advance for your help!

- M

Posts: 4 | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have the answer for you, because I have never seen a copy of this story. It has never been collected in any of Ray Bradbury's books.

However, if it helps, you can find the story in a book called 'Wizards of Odd', edited by Peter Haining (Ace, 1997), and in the September 1943 issue of Astounding Science Fiction magazine.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can also find Ray's story "Doodad" in a 1966 anthology called STRANGE SIGNPOSTS, edited by Roger Elwood and Sam Moskowitz.

Posts: 2486 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Phil and Richard. I actually hoped somebody has it. If not, I'll try to find it in the library.

As a sidenote, I wonder if it was never republished, why does nobody have it online...

- M

posted Hide Post
"Doodad" was the only story RB ever sold to John W. Campbell, and according to Ray himself--the story stunk, and Campbell only bought it to get rid of him.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, he may not have found the best possible ending, but the idea is truly brilliant and fascinating. To me, it smells fine.

But anyway, I do need the quote, really. I want to quote it in a paper on lignuistics. Maybe someone does have a copy?

Thanks again

- M

posted Hide Post
You can buy a used copy of the anthology Wizards of Odd from Amazon.com for $0.95, if you don't mind paying postage to Russia.

RB himself owns the copyright to the story, and if he hasn't used it in any of his own books, he probably doesn't like it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Walloon,

Posts: 103 | Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DM, I pulled out my copy of STRANGE SIGNPOSTS. Here is the quote you are looking for from "Doodad": "Therefore, we have the birth of incorrect semantic labels that can be used to describe anything from a hen's nest to a motor-beetle crankcase. A doohingey can be the name of a scrub mop or a toupee. It's a term used freely by everybody in a certain culture. A doohingey isn't just one thing. It's a thousand things."

Incidentally, confirming what grasstains said,when I had Ray sign his story "Doodad" in my copy of STRANGE SIGNPOSTS, I commented on how, after a great deal of trying by him, he had finally sold a story to John Campbell. Ray replied, tongue-in-cheek, "I think he bought the story just to get rid of me!"

Posts: 2486 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Richard, very much indeed!

- M