Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    WHaT iS YouR FaVoRiTe BRaDBuRY PeRioD?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WHaT iS YouR FaVoRiTe BRaDBuRY PeRioD?
 Login/Join

posted
WHaT
iS
YouR
FaVoRiTe
BRaDBuRY PeRioD?

The QUESTION IS:
What is YOUR favorite Bradbury period: '40's, '50's, early '60's, later '60's, '70's, '80's, etc???

My favorite is mid to later 1940's,
some 50's, some 60's...
...a little bit of 70's. Itsy bitsy 80's, some 90's, and a scattering of 2000. Percentages? Let's just say the 1940's and 1950's were VERY KIND to Mr. Bradbury. I'll put it at 80%. But let's NOT forget "Something Wicked This Way Comes!"

However, is Mr. Bradbury's GREATEST work still ahead? (I actually think so! One masterful work! Just a couple years ahead!!!)

_________________________________________________________________________________

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd have to say about 1945-1955. Although there are MANY fantastic works written by Ray outside that time, I think the in mid-'40s to the mid '50s he wrote his most inventive, memorable and evocative stories (collections like ILL. MAN & DAY IT RAINED FOREVER) and of course his masterwork F.451.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: oz-crumley,

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1947 - 1962.

But everything he writes is beautiful.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1947-1955. That's it. Game over. No other genre writer had such a period of writing so much material, at such superior quality, in so little a timeframe. We will never see anything or anyone like that again. It's rare air up there.

I just think the percentage of stinkers was slightly greater before and after that glorious period. And the further out you move from that period, in either direction, the higher that percentage grows. For me, anyways.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dang!!! It's tough to say all that because a lot of really great stories came before and after that 1947-55 time period. But I'm trying to compress it down to as small a time period as possible, and I'll have to stand by that.

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll have to say the 1940's. But the 1950's were amazing with The Martian Chronicles, 1960's with Something Wicked. My least favorite has to be Let's All Kill Constance. But there is so many other works. For sheer poetry of metaphors, however, it's the 40's and 50's. When Ray dips back into that stream of wonder, it's a love affair all over again.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's the romantic period in science-fiction, the 1940 and 1950 years. But it's also the best years for the young Bradbury. In the continual, the consistent good work. Of course there are great things thruout all the years. Small stuff included, like Zen and the Art of Writing. Or his a handful of his plays. Or many of the short stories he has written way passed the 1970 and 1980 years. How else to describe his works that are read today with such interest other than to say they are works of art to be enjoyed in each new generation.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Partial to the 1950s in Bradbury and many other things.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post