Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    My Sad Face

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Sad Face
 Login/Join

posted
When I was in Year Six (So about six or seven years ago Razzer) we read a short story called My Sad Face, and I think it was by Bradbury. It was about a man who is walking by a river and he gets picked up by the police for not having the right expression on his face- he looks sad instead of happy. Because of this, he has three teeth knocked out, which apparently is the standard punishment.
I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find this story, or if it's not by Bradbury, who it is by. Smiler
Thanks!

Insert Witty Comment Here.

Posts: 4 | Location: Driving the bus to hell | Registered: 10 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bradbury would never write a story about a sad face getting his teeth knocked out as punisghment. Guaranteed.

Okay, I'll bite. Why does a twelve yr. old use a name like Fubar Kibble?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the style of German Post WWII. Try Heinrich Böll.

You're possibly confusing this with The Pedestrian, which is also about a fellow accosted by the police whilst walking.

Witty comment.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Correct. http://www.hh.shuttle.de/hh/gyha/Facher/Englisch/boell_sadface.htm

The Bradbury story with teeth being knocked out is of course in The Martian Chronicles, and that was done for a much more deserved offense.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion: Ok! Where exactly is that story in The Martian Chronicles?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ooh! Ooh! I know this one!

The last paragraph of And The Moon Be Still As Bright is:

The next afternoon Parkhill did some target practice in one of the dead cities, shooting out the crystal windows and blowing the tops off the fragile towers. The captain caught Parkhiil and knocked his teeth out.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, how about that.

And..."OUCH!"

posted Hide Post
Thank you. That's one of my favorite Bradbury passages.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't the old guy in "Chicago Abyss" undergo a similar dental procedure?

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dude, I'm seventeen. Razzer
Anyway, thanks for your help.
Appreciate it muchly.

Posts: 4 | Location: Driving the bus to hell | Registered: 10 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not The Pedestrian, sorry.
Any other offers?

posted Hide Post
Fubar, dandelion already gave you the answer - scroll up and click on the link she gave!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, got it!
Thanks for your help once again.
Lovies.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fubar Kibble:
It's not The Pedestrian...

No, I didn't mean that you thought it was The Pedestrian, just that you might be making a Bradbury connection with that.

It's Heinrich Böll, as I suggested.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post