Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Chapter re-naming

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chapter re-naming
 Login/Join

posted
My all time fav chapter from Ray comes from Dandelion Wine and is entitled, "Great Grandma" and starts out, "She was a woman..."

Last night I was going through a collection book of his and came across the same chapter only it had a completely different title.

Does Ray do this alot or is this done by his publishers?

Thanks

Posts: 86 | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know if Ray or publishers do it (some of the other posters can answer that), but I find it to be one of the most annoying things I've encountered.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree, I was glad to come across it again but confused why such a classic chapter would be used as a short story.

Posts: 86 | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of the Greentown stories and Martian stories were originally written as short stories and only later put together to form a novel, so some of it could be due to that.

Are you referring to chapter 32, Goodbye, Grandma? That was originally published in May 1957 in The Saturday Evening Post. Thanks Phil!

Dandelion Wine is my second favourite book, and one in which I appear, as well!

Cream-Sponge Para Litefoot Shoes is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any compiler of Bradbury's work has lists of "Same Material - Different Title" and "Same Title - Different Material."

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug is correct - there's a list of Dandelion Wine chapters and the short stories they came from on my website here.

I'm not entirely sure that Dandelion Wine originally had any chapter headings. The editions I have owned have been headingless.

Sometimes parts of DW (and other Bradbury books) have been separated out again and published as stand-alone stories. Sometimes they have been given new titles, sometimes chosen by the editor/publisher. This is particularly true of books designed for use in the classroom.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Headingless is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post